PDA

View Full Version : E34 shakes during 3k RPM's

e34
10-19-2004, 01:52 AM
When i step on the gas the bmw shakes at arround 3k RPM's, its like when i hit the gas half way the car looses power, its like i have let the gas peddal go, but i havent, what could be the problem? Its a 89 525i 5spd M20, Its just at 1,2,3,4 gear when i hit the gas halfway it starts to shake, like it looses power and then i release the gas and press it gently then works ok. So what could be the problem, please help?

bimmerd00d
10-19-2004, 09:05 AM
that's where it comes into it's power band, it's most likely bad fuel pump or clogged filter. Also might check the center bearing, could be that as well as another problem.

632 Regal
10-19-2004, 11:05 AM
could be normal too, you cant balance an engine perfectly throught its entire rpm range so theres a give and take. If your flywheel was replaced or something of that nature it might not have been balanced properly. my M-60 has a shake at 1100-1300 rpms but smooth throughout the rest.

e34
10-19-2004, 03:30 PM
No its not normal, because it looses power its like i have stept off the gas peddal, even tho im still on it. Could be the fuel filter or pump, i will have it checked with a mechanic.

andyman32
10-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Nah, c'mon Jeff, I know the 8 is a bit cantankerous and tempermental, but a nice & tuned BMW I6 is as balanced as a ballerina and smooth as a baby's butt all the way up the band. Sounds like his motor is having a fuel and/or air flow problem in high revs. I agree with bimmerdood - fuel pump or filter.

Could be engine mounts too - might be worn and lets the block have more play when it's under greater stress, maybe?