PDA

View Full Version : hubcentric rings w/ stock wheels?

silverz06vette
10-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Got the shimmy/shake at 55-60, also have it when braking and coming back down thru the same speeds.

94 540 164k- all arms and suspension replaced back at 112k. Bilstein sports and H&R lowering springs.

Do or will the hubcentric rings work with stock wheels? Just called TR and got one of those "can't use them with stock wheels" answers.

TIA!

bimmerd00d
10-18-2004, 06:32 PM
TR is correct, you need to have your tires balanced on a Hunter DSP9700, the road force analyzer. Make sure your wheels aren't bent as well.

silverz06vette
10-18-2004, 06:47 PM
I will get that done.

Thanks!

andyman32
10-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Hey guys,

Is it weird that we've had at least a half-dozen posts about the dreaded 50-60 shimmy within the past 2 weeks? All the same symptoms?

Why do you guys think that is the case? Though I may be mistaken, my impression is that this rate of occurrence isn't constant. In what way could it be related to the changing temperatures? Could colder temps make old bushings more brittle? Do you think it could cause rotors to warp more easily?

This is just a theoretical question. :)

silverz06vette
10-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Mine have been doing it for a while.

There is a place in Atlanta that does off car balance on a old machine, then they do on car balance with this old rollar setup. I had it done to my Z06 a few times and its like riding on glass.

Pretty damm pricey if I remember right. Will give them a call tomorrow and see what the damage would be.

the local place I use has a new machine that has somekind of sonar system. Usually works fine on the Z06, but I know how the BMW can be.

On our 99 740il with 56k I had a roadforce balance done at the dealer when I was trying to get them to replace the thrust arm busings under CPO. It was fine for a few days then the shimmy returned. I think they retorqued the bolts on the thrust arms for a quick fix. Going back in a week to two to try again. If they say no, will go with the lemford arms from BMA.

silverz06vette
10-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Took her in for the oncar balance at $15 a wheel, they said 3 out of 4 needed work so $45. On the way home $45 just flew out the window as it did not help. :(

I just got my upper arms out to replace the thrust arm bushings. I have done them about 55k ago with the cheap arms. One hit and the right side comes right out. About 30 hits with a 3lb hammer and the left side was still holding strong. The nut is looking bad now.

I get a propane torch at HD for $20. I put some heat to the part that is holding the ball joint. I make sure to not melt any rubber boots in the area. All of a sudden the ball joint just pops out on its own. Sweet!!!!

I call Partrick at BMA and he has me two 750 bushings coming by tuesday. Great service from Patrick as usual. They are like $18.50 each.

At work I tried to use an arbor press to get the thrust bushings out, no luck its going to take a hydraulic press to get them out.

I'll be doing our 99 740il in less then a month. Think I'll get that lucky again? I hope so cause the Lemford arms are $130 each for that one.