PDA

View Full Version : Windshield: What parts to order?

talltorontoguy
10-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi all,

I'm getting a new windshield put in my car. I've heard the horror stories about having bad installations with shops breaking clips etc.

I want to install with new clips, moldings, gaskets, or whatever else should go in there so as to eliminate future problems.

Can anyone please tell me what I should order to ensure a tight and windnoise free installation? Also, if you have part numbers that I can order that would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Rod

dternst
10-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm getting a new windshield put in my car. I've heard the horror stories about having bad installations with shops breaking clips etc.

I want to install with new clips, moldings, gaskets, or whatever else should go in there so as to eliminate future problems.

Can anyone please tell me what I should order to ensure a tight and windnoise free installation? Also, if you have part numbers that I can order that would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Rod

http://rust.mine.nu/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=45171&prod=19910900&btnr=51_0273&hg=51&fg=05&x=246&y=122

talltorontoguy
10-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the diagram and part numbers. I'm still confused though...

I'm assuming that I can re-use the existing window decorative trim pieces. What should I absolutely replace?

I had thought there was a rubber gasket of some sort... the one that is on there now is a little loose. Lots of air noise and some leaking. Does this typically come with the new windshield?

Or... should I just get the installer to go ahead and do it without the new parts?

Advice needed!

Thanks guys...

dternst
10-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the diagram and part numbers. I'm still confused though...

I'm assuming that I can re-use the existing window decorative trim pieces. What should I absolutely replace?

I had thought there was a rubber gasket of some sort... the one that is on there now is a little loose. Lots of air noise and some leaking. Does this typically come with the new windshield?

Or... should I just get the installer to go ahead and do it without the new parts?

Advice needed!

Thanks guys...

My advice would be to talk to a Service Manager at your local BMW Dealership or contact "Glass Doctor" or a similar company in the Yellow Pages with experience replacing glass in BMWs.

Just my $.02

David