PDA

View Full Version : So what is it?

ExcessPlay
10-17-2004, 05:14 PM
New to the forum and actually new to my BMW. I was a lucky, well I will leave that to be decided later on, recipient of a somewhat but not terribly neglected 1991 535i or so I thought. The trunk lid says 535i but the label on the inner drivers’ door says 525a and the title says model A52 so can someone tell me what the heck I have?

Second it looks like I have at least some of the inherent problems associated with these cars. Main concerns at this point are the front suspension; there is play of about 1/8 of a turn which causes a little drift especially in the wind. I did find the top of the strut had come undone. Tightening made things better but I still have some noise coming from the right side and suspect, tie rods and bushings are needed at the least.

The interior is also in need of some detail work; mainly the headliner and door covers are just coming apart. I would have thought a car of this stature would have done a better job at gluing things down but if that’s all I have to contend with here I will be happy.

Other very minor flaws; at least I thing they are all minor
Windshield has a small grove where wiper was allowed to rub; (Can’t figure out how someone could allow this to happen.)
Passenger door does not lock or unlock
Drivers’ headrest motor does not operate
Trip meter reset button does not work
A few instrument lights do not light
Trip/Mileage computers lights are dim
2 separate headlights are cracked
Both fog lights are cracked
No Owners manual

Car does have 156k on it but she runs like a dream, although somewhat slow off the line, and no fluid problems. So aside from the suspension I think it will be a fine car for another 150k or more.

632 Regal
10-17-2004, 05:41 PM
the intake manifold will say 535 if it is.

A52???

the steering has to be inspected and isolated a bit more for suggestions

Ellipsoid fogs are on Ebay for about 100 bux a pair (much better than stockers).

Sounds like your dash cluster might be needing some lights/and or capacitors soldered in.

Headrest could be in need of shortening the cable sheath.

Order a manual, you will never know most of the options until you get it.

New to the forum and actually new to my BMW. I was a lucky, well I will leave that to be decided later on, recipient of a somewhat but not terribly neglected 1991 535i or so I thought. The trunk lid says 535i but the label on the inner drivers’ door says 525a and the title says model A52 so can someone tell me what the heck I have?

Second it looks like I have at least some of the inherent problems associated with these cars. Main concerns at this point are the front suspension; there is play of about 1/8 of a turn which causes a little drift especially in the wind. I did find the top of the strut had come undone. Tightening made things better but I still have some noise coming from the right side and suspect, tie rods and bushings are needed at the least.

The interior is also in need of some detail work; mainly the headliner and door covers are just coming apart. I would have thought a car of this stature would have done a better job at gluing things down but if that’s all I have to contend with here I will be happy.

Other very minor flaws; at least I thing they are all minor
Windshield has a small grove where wiper was allowed to rub; (Can’t figure out how someone could allow this to happen.)
Passenger door does not lock or unlock
Drivers’ headrest motor does not operate
Trip meter reset button does not work
A few instrument lights do not light
Trip/Mileage computers lights are dim
2 separate headlights are cracked
Both fog lights are cracked
No Owners manual

Car does have 156k on it but she runs like a dream, although somewhat slow off the line, and no fluid problems. So aside from the suspension I think it will be a fine car for another 150k or more.

bimmerd00d
10-17-2004, 05:43 PM
All of those problems sound like the typical E34 problems, minus teh windshield which was owner neglect.

which picture does your engine look like?

http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/99/fa/33_1.JPG

http://www.internetconcepts1.com/images/89%20bmw%20engine.jpg
notice the 3.5 on the intake manifold

the first one is a 1991 525i M50 2.5L
the second one is a 1991 535i M30 3.5L

SharkmanBMW
10-17-2004, 05:57 PM
http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/ FOR DASH BULBS
http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/ferrari/464/ FOR HEADREST REPAIR.
http://www.bmwe34.net/ GENERAL GENIUS INFO FROM BRUNO

START THERE!

ExcessPlay
10-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Looks like the top picture so you are saying this is really a 525i 2.5L

632 Regal
10-17-2004, 07:49 PM
thats BS! still a good car but with its problems and the lies Id be pissed off.

liquidtiger720
10-17-2004, 09:55 PM
wow, who would badge a 525i with a 535i? why not go m5? lol

....if you paid for it, take it back!

632 Regal
10-17-2004, 10:03 PM

winfred
10-17-2004, 10:05 PM
best guess would be a dammaged orignal trunk and they found a used one of the same color and just bolted it up and left it alone

liquidtiger720
10-17-2004, 11:30 PM
best guess would be a dammaged orignal trunk and they found a used one of the same color and just bolted it up and left it alone

ok, i agree.

phildg2000
10-18-2004, 12:41 AM
You mentioned in your post:
"I did find the top of the strut had come undone."
Exactly where do you find this? I've read a lot of posts mentionng this and I'd like to check my 525i but I don't know where to look. Is it at the top of the shock tower in the engine compartment (under the black plastic cover)?

Thanks,
Philip

JD525IA
10-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Most of these are fairly easy to correct. They should be on Bruno's site or can be looked up on this site's archives. The hardest one on your list, aside from figuring out what you've actually have, would probably be the passenger door lock. You'll probably have to take the door panel off for that one. Still, minor issues.

ExcessPlay
10-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Well I appreciate all your input and I’m sure I will be calling on you all for help along the way since I will probably keep it especially since I gave $0 for the car. I guess I can't complain to awful much. :)

Before you ask: My sister-in-law bought the car for her 30 yr old daughter, daughter thought it wasn't cool enough, lives in South Beach FL., drove it long enough to neglect it a bit, then let it sit for almost 2 years so sister-in-law asked if I wanted it and to this point won’t take anything for it. I will probably wind up giving her 1-2k just so I don't feel too bad about it.

Spent three days buffing, waxing and general cleanup and other then the stock wheels ruining the looks of the now shinny paint and new tires, also put on by sister-in-law, and aside from the saggy headliner she really looks pretty sweet and I wouldn’t hesitate to drive her from coast to coast, well I do have AAA.

I guess if I am going to have a car around to tinker with this one is as good or better then most and will be a ride I won’t be ashamed of parking at the golf course. hehe

ExcessPlay
10-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Well mine was obvious when I tried to jack the right front side of the car up. First the tire remained on the ground and when I looked into the fender well I could see the large brass looking top cap or screw had come apart from the strut. I lowered the car back down enough to reach in, making sure to have the proper safety jacks in place, and tightened the cap back on the shock/strut. Once I got it finger tight I took a large flat screwdriver and mallet and tightened it the remaining way, there are grooves in the cap so I would assume a wrench if you had one but it really wasn’t necessary.

This took care of the bang I was hearing when I ran over a bump but did not completely eliminate the noise from the right side. I also saw at least one of the rubber boots broken on this tie rod end so I may have noise coming form there or the strut is just completely shot.

Hope this helps.

ExcessPlay
10-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks, I have found much help already in this and Bruno's site and I also agree that what I have found, so far, seems fairly easy.

The only thing I am kind of bumbed about is the lack of off the line power. Feels like the car would probably do every bit of the 160 on the spedo once rolling on the open road but sure could stand being chipped, turboed, or even nitrous to get her moving. She is using all the gears so it’s not a tranny problem I am just use to a little more in the seat power but I can probably get use to it.

ExcessPlay
10-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks,

Great links for any BMW newby, except the http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/ link doesn't apear to be up or at least the sub links don't apear to work and that's one I think I needed.

Thanks again!

ROTBMR5
10-19-2004, 03:16 PM
undefined
wondering if you have time to answer a few questions abt these engines I currently have a 91 535i w/ m 30 3.5 I am wondering if the m 50 525 4 valve engine is as peppy and pulls as hard as the m 30 TNX tom ROTBMR5

All of those problems sound like the typical E34 problems, minus teh windshield which was owner neglect.

which picture does your engine look like?

http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/99/fa/33_1.JPG

http://www.internetconcepts1.com/images/89%20bmw%20engine.jpg
notice the 3.5 on the intake manifold

the first one is a 1991 525i M50 2.5L
the second one is a 1991 535i M30 3.5L

ExcessPlay
10-19-2004, 04:17 PM
My limited experiance says no it's not as peppy. I think it's something like down 100 or so hp.

JonE
10-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Might be more like 208hp in the 535 vs. 189hp in the 525.

632 Regal
10-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Might be more like 208hp in the 535 vs. 189hp in the 525.

rickm
10-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Once you confirm what engine it is consider purchasing a chip. EAT are very popular and the owner frequents this board (http://www.dsylva-tech.ca).

andyman32
10-19-2004, 08:38 PM
and 425 in the Nikasil Enhanced 530s

WHAT?! 425?!

****, then my M62 must put out at least a billion horses...

Geoff Hoad
10-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Have one and have driven both. Advice: Stick with the 3.5. If you want more oomph have it chipped and consider a Schrick cam and a better exhaust such as a Supersprint or something similar. These are engines where there is a lot of advantages with a bit of work and without spending a huge fortune.