PDA

View Full Version : water pump, tstat

nuwde
10-17-2004, 12:28 AM
hey guys,
i think i need to change these 2 things on my car. i got a coolant code while driving and the temp gauge goes red sometimes. i am probably going to purchase from bma but i'm not sure exactly which parts i'll need. can someone help me out? thanks a lot! i've got a 92 525i.

edwin

ps. i smelled some gas like stuff coming through my vents. what is that?

andyman32
10-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Don't know about the gas smell in the vents (that sounds bad), but you should try to visually locate the leak. Draining coolant could mean a blown headgasket, a cracked radiator, cracked or leaky expansion tank, bad coolant hoses or just worn hose clamps, water pump, thermostat housing, or even just a worn or cracked expansion tank cap. (did I miss anything guys?)

The problem with a coolant leak is that it typically will occur only when the system is hot (under pressure), so that means, on the road. The coolant will evaporate before you can find it.

Check under all the hoses and the bottom edge of the radiator for dried coolant. If you don't see anything there, the leak could be inside the block. I have a bad water pump & hoses (still waiting for parts to come in); I was able to visually locate the leaks' origin at the junction of the radiator-water pump hoses with the water pump (as well as a few other small leaks at hose connections) from beneath the car.

andyman32
10-17-2004, 08:58 AM
P.S., if you ever get the temperature gauge in the red, stop the car immediately and cut it off.... unless you want a cracked shortblock ;) Check your expansion tank for proper coolant level, and you should probably always carry a gallon of BMW coolant and a gallon of water in your trunk j.i.c.

632 Regal
10-17-2004, 10:48 AM
waterpump, t-stat AND thermostat housing! just call BMA and they will hook you up. While your in there you might want to consider changing the belts and hoses as a regular maintenance item.

andyman32
10-17-2004, 04:38 PM
... the temp gauge goes red sometimes.

Oui, methinks this sounds like a sticking tstat.

632 Regal
10-17-2004, 04:42 PM
or plastic waterpump impeller or something else stupid. I just replace everything when im in the area so I dont have to second guess things. It equates to being a lot less expensive in the long run.

Dan in NZ
10-17-2004, 05:52 PM
"Or plastic waterpump impeller or something else stupid. I just replace everything when im in the area so I dont have to second guess things. It equates to being a lot less expensive in the long run."

I never used to believe in replacing "unneccesary" parts... Until I had my timing belt changed, then a week later the water pump started squeaking. Tearing out the same front parts of the engine twice in two weeks cost me a lot in labour. Of course, since then I've become a lot more confident in my repair skills, and would do it myself.

632 Regal
10-17-2004, 05:56 PM
your steering wheel is still on the wrong side of your car!

:D

"Or plastic waterpump impeller or something else stupid. I just replace everything when im in the area so I dont have to second guess things. It equates to being a lot less expensive in the long run."

I never used to believe in replacing "unneccesary" parts... Until I had my timing belt changed, then a week later the water pump started squeaking. Tearing out the same front parts of the engine twice in two weeks cost me a lot in labour. Of course, since then I've become a lot more confident in my repair skills, and would do it myself.

Elekta
10-17-2004, 06:51 PM
That gas smell is two inch rubber fuel hose in between fuel rails. Get the proper size hose and two new clamps and you will be good to go. It's an easy find with a cold engine when you first start the car. More than likely just a few drips from a nearly expired hose, that will go away when the car heats up.

nuwde
10-17-2004, 07:48 PM
thanks for the information and suggestion guys! unfortunately i don't have time to look at this stuff myself this week so i'm gonna have to ask my mechanic to check out the things mentioned. thanks again!!

edwin