PDA

View Full Version : New head,..... new problems

PABLO
10-15-2004, 10:33 AM
i had just installed my new head (used one but tested and all that stuff), with new head gaskets. After finishing the work the mechanic turned on the car and let it run for about an hour. guess what? When he oppened the radiator cap he realized that something was wrong, Oil was mixed with water in the radiator, and there was also water in the oil. Really a lot! Even the mechanic dont know what to do now. i know what to do.... change mechanic!!! But i cant because all mechanic are really busy(20 days). So i need to fix this. Do you know what can be wrong that oil was mixing with water(block) an water with oil(radiator) Some one told me yesterday that bmw have something near the oil filter to warm oil in winter and cool it down in summer.
Do you need to rectificate the block each time you remove the head?
Any help will be really apreciated. (one month without my car)
Thanks

Jeff N.
10-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Are you sure this isn't left over water and oil? Did you put fresh oil in the car before you started it after the repair? Have you flushed the radiator to make sure all the oil is out?

Be sure this isn't left over from oil and water mixing when you pulled the head before you take it apart again.

Jeff

PABLO
10-15-2004, 10:59 AM
i didnt change the oil, but this is the third time the mechanic do this job and in the other times this never happened. Before this change of head, Oil never mixed with water.

632 Regal
10-15-2004, 11:08 AM
very interesting question here : Someone told me yesterday that bmw have something near the oil filter to warm oil in winter and cool it down in summer.

632 Regal
10-15-2004, 11:31 AM
I admire your patience with this, I would have blown it by now with the mechanic. Either he really doesnt have a clue or there is something else wrong that should have been caught by now.

Inspecting while disassembling should have indicated if something was wrong with the old head and/or gasket or block and at that time a diagnosis made. If there was nothing wrong he should have let you know and dove deeper to find the culprit. Perhaps there is a crack in the block by the headgasket causing the mixing of oil and water but now that its buttoned up YOU cant inspect it yourself. Did he or you have the old head inspected for cracks yet? I would just for piece of mind.

I haven't hear of an oil heater/cooler like someone mentioned to you but hopefully someone here knows off the top of their head.

as for the oil and water, maybe you should splurge for fresh dino oil and a filter, just use water in the coolant and make sure it simply isnt residual from the other head/gasket.

Bruno
10-15-2004, 11:58 AM
i didnt change the oil, but this is the third time the mechanic do this job and in the other times this never happened. Before this change of head, Oil never mixed with water.

Ok, why 3 time the job.

Did the mechanic cleaned up the block holes before putting the new bolts into the head?

If not, I wonder if you have a cracked block now....

632 Regal
10-15-2004, 12:07 PM
thats common knowledge to us but wonder if he knows?

Ok, why 3 time the job.

Did the mechanic cleaned up the block holes before putting the new bolts into the head?

Bruno
10-15-2004, 12:22 PM
thats common knowledge to us but wonder if he knows?

The problem is that the mechanic will never recognise that he made a mistake... So now the best thing to do is getting a good used engine and do a swap.

What a major pain.

Beemr750
10-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Ok, why 3 time the job.

That's most likely what happened.I went thru the same scenario with a 318 engine.The Mechanic with the most certificates hanging in his stall,swore up and down that he done everything by the book,and would blame me for having a cracked block to start with.Well I never had this symptoms before he touched it,but to no avail.
When he had the head off the bliock showed a brand new crack at the thinnest wall connection right in the middle side,it only cracked either lacked cleanliness or it could have been overtorqued.

Somebody had a sleeve installed and it came out ok, after I insisted another Mechanic to finish the job.Best part about it the owner was once a BMW TechRep and former good friend of mine.

PABLO
10-15-2004, 03:10 PM
mechanic did the job for several times because the first was a blown head hasket, but he didnt checked for cracks in the head, so the second one was because of the cracked head, so i he fixed the cracked head and installed it again. But the head cracked again in the same cylinder cam but in front of the old one. So i bougth a used one( have it all checked for cracks: ok) and put it back. But when he installed it again the oil got mixed with water(after finishing the installation and running it for an hour).
Right now the car is disasemble in the mechanic.
I dont know nothing about bolts.. im not associated with mechanical problems, all i know is because of my problems with this car (but i still love it). crazy me ahhh??