PDA

View Full Version : buying tools

infinity5
10-12-2004, 01:24 PM
trying to replace my valve cover gaskets (94 530) and the one single store (napa) in the entire city who even takes me seriously when i ask for an in lbs torque wrench wants 100 and somehting for it. any cheap places online you guys would reccomned to buy tools? and no one seems to sell a ft lbs one that's accurate or goes low enough to do the equivalant. I'm about to give up, and like someone else said in an earlier post, just 'redneck it' and hope it doesn't leak.

JonE
10-12-2004, 01:30 PM
I think some of the auto parts places will "rent" tools. Maybe one of them has what you need for rental. Often they take a deposit on a tool and you get it all back once you return the tool. maybe this is only when you buy parts from them, though.

bfd
10-12-2004, 02:12 PM
trying to replace my valve cover gaskets (94 530) and the one single store (napa) in the entire city who even takes me seriously when i ask for an in lbs torque wrench wants 100 and somehting for it. any cheap places online you guys would reccomned to buy tools? and no one seems to sell a ft lbs one that's accurate or goes low enough to do the equivalant. I'm about to give up, and like someone else said in an earlier post, just 'redneck it' and hope it doesn't leak.

Get yourself to a Sears nearest you or order online (www.sears.com). Sears has good quality torque wrench and that do go on sale!

Bellicose Right Winger
10-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Save your money for more useful tools. Divide the in-lb torque for the valve cover nut by the length of the ratchet handle and pull that hard. For example, 48in-lb / 6" handle = 8 lb pull, 6" from the center of the socket. You can estimate that close enough for a valve cover.

Paul Shovestul

Garlic Breath
10-12-2004, 02:51 PM
bought mine from ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2493448098&category=43994&sspagename=WDVW) not that one but I did spend some extra on a Matco and I got it calibrated prior to use.

el Cheapo one's here (http://search.ebay.com/torque-wrench-1-4_Parts-Accessories_W0QQsofocusZsoQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQc atrefZC6QQsatitleZtorqueQ20wrenchQ201/4Q22QQsacategoryZ6028Q26catrefQ3DC6QQsotrZ2QQsosor tpropertyZ11Q26sosortorderQ3D1QQcoactionZcompareQQ copagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch)

Or just buy the one from Napa and return it when you're done with it. Wipe grease off first.

infinity5
10-12-2004, 03:09 PM
ok so.. i get it.. i think, but how does that tell me how much to pull?
using your example, would i just pull until tight at 6inches and that would be about 8in/lbs? er.. :) heh. thanks guys though. and what useful tools should i be saving my money for?

Save your money for more useful tools. Divide the in-lb torque for the valve cover nut by the length of the ratchet handle and pull that hard. For example, 48in-lb / 6" handle = 8 lb pull, 6" from the center of the socket. You can estimate that close enough for a valve cover.

Paul Shovestul

JonE
10-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't the valve cover bolts be about 8-10 ft.lbs? Most torque wrenches will read that low, won't they?

Bellicose Right Winger
10-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Divide the torque by the length of your ratchet handle and that is the force/pull you need to apply. An 8 lb force/pull on a 6" long ratchet handle = 48in-lbs. 6in x 8lb = 48 in-lbs.

Paul Shovestul

ok so.. i get it.. i think, but how does that tell me how much to pull?
using your example, would i just pull until tight at 6inches and that would be about 8in/lbs? er.. :) heh. thanks guys though. and what useful tools should i be saving my money for?

Messerschmitt
10-12-2004, 07:54 PM
It really doesn't matter how accurately the valve (cam) cover bolts are tightened, as the bolts are spaced at the top to allow for the cover and gasket. Get them snug and then another 10 or so degrees and they will be fine. Don't worry about these...

Messerschmitt