PDA

View Full Version : what shocks?

stodman
10-12-2004, 09:14 AM
hey folks, right oh,
I need new front shocks, but what kind? i have an e34 regestered in 08/89.
I have been told that there are two options, hydraulic(self leveling) or gas. would guess that mine was bog standard gas but not sure! can anybody advise?

Also, was quoted 2nd hand £40 per side plus VAT( springs included)
new ones would cost £60 per side, do i need to replace the springs too??
should i stick to new or scrap parts???

Ta

632 Regal
10-12-2004, 09:18 AM
and gas shocks should have been stock on your car. Hydraulic shocks are less expensive but supossidly dont last as long.

stodman
10-12-2004, 09:22 AM
and gas shocks should have been stock on your car. Hydraulic shocks are less expensive but supossidly dont last as long.

Thanks!!!!!

new or salvage tho??

Bruno
10-12-2004, 10:10 AM
New. Don't get used shocks as you don't know the condition.
Get the Boge and you know you will have the same ride as OEM or Bilstein / konis if you want a stiffer ride.

632 Regal
10-12-2004, 10:13 AM
for pretty much a limited number of miles based on road conditions. The front arent really easy to replace and it would suck to do all that work and then find out that they suck. Id go new and your pretty sure theyll be good for 30-60k miles. I think hydraulic runs smoother and gas are a bit stiffer mattering on how you want the car to ride. I dont know what brands that they carry over there (NZ?) so I cant really recommend anything to you without doing my research.

all2kool
10-12-2004, 11:04 AM
I need to replace one front strut - so I might as well replace both. Is this a DIY job or should I take it in?

632 Regal
10-12-2004, 11:26 AM
but read the posts on it, make sure you have the proper tools. first time it took me 3 hours but I took off a bunch of crap I didnt have to. Basicly you have to seperate the steering knuckle from the bottom of the strut mount and will need a spring compressor to safely remove the top bolt.

Bruno
10-12-2004, 02:11 PM
I need to replace one front strut - so I might as well replace both. Is this a DIY job or should I take it in?

What takes a long time is to compress the spring then removing the housing nut.

The rest is pretty simple as long as you have a compressor (to remove the top nut) and a spring compressor.

Having someone to help is also nice.