PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer CDX-M30

all2kool
10-10-2004, 12:05 PM
On the back of my Pioneer CDX-M30 6-Disc CD Changer, there is a smaller, round connection next to the M-Bus connection. What is it for?

all2kool
10-10-2004, 08:57 PM
On the back of my Pioneer CDX-M30 6-Disc CD Changer, there is a smaller, round connection next to the M-Bus connection. What is it for?

More importantly, there is no matching cable in the trunk. Is this connection not used?

Patrick
10-10-2004, 09:00 PM
It's a digital output terminal, used when connecting an optional component -like a radar detector.

Just kidding about the radar detector, the rest is true though.

all2kool
10-13-2004, 04:39 PM
So, my $50 adapter cable arrives today and I finally complete the Pioneer CDX-M30 install in my 1992 525i. The Head unit is aware that the changer is there, flips through the discs, and then promptly says "Disc Error". Yes, I do have the CD's in label side down. So I take the cover off and watch as it cycles through the CD's. Although it picks from disc 6 to disc 2, it never picks disc 1. I even notice that when it does pick a CD, it only takes it about half-way to the lens. I can grab the tray at that moment and get the CD to move closer to the lens, so I know it is suppose to go farther than it is. Did I get sold a paperweight?

Patrick
10-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear that since it sounds like you're almost there. I haven't had problems with the changer but somebody else here must have so maybe they can tell you what the problem could be. Here is a thread (Roadflea is good for something) that may help you out if you can't fix it yourself:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/forum.php?postid=4435006&page=1
and more specifically:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e34/forum.php?postid=4435533&page=1

chamilun
10-13-2004, 08:03 PM
go through and physically turn the different gears by hand, especially the one that raises and lowers the disc selector.

watch and see where it seems to be stopping, and lift the component a bit.

all2kool
10-13-2004, 08:25 PM
go through and physically turn the different gears by hand, especially the one that raises and lowers the disc selector. Watch and see where it seems to be stopping, and lift the component a bit.

The changer is rising and lowering OK for disc's 2-6. As I said earlier, it doesn't seem to want to check disc 1. If Disc 1 is chosen on the head unit, it says "No Disc". As for where it is stopping, the tray only comes out about 1/3 of the way before it moves on to the next CD. When inserting the cartridge, I have to push it all the way in - it does not grab it at any point - is that normal?
As luck would have it, my neighbor has a AC Delco branded CDX-M61 that he gave me. Alas, my $50 adapter won't work for it but those $1 adapters on eBay - that I didn't buy and are no longer avaialable - is now what I need. Someone up there just doesn't want me to have CD tunes in the 525i.......

chamilun
10-13-2004, 10:06 PM
The changer is rising and lowering OK for disc's 2-6. As I said earlier, it doesn't seem to want to check disc 1. If Disc 1 is chosen on the head unit, it says "No Disc". As for where it is stopping, the tray only comes out about 1/3 of the way before it moves on to the next CD. When inserting the cartridge, I have to push it all the way in - it does not grab it at any point - is that normal?
As luck would have it, my neighbor has a AC Delco branded CDX-M61 that he gave me. Alas, my $50 adapter won't work for it but those $1 adapters on eBay - that I didn't buy and are no longer avaialable - is now what I need. Someone up there just doesn't want me to have CD tunes in the 525i.......

i believe you are saying that the disc is grabbed, pulled in part of the way, then put back???

if so, move the gears by hand a few times and see if that helps.

all2kool
10-13-2004, 11:15 PM
i believe you are saying that the disc is grabbed, pulled in part of the way, then put back???

if so, move the gears by hand a few times and see if that helps.

Yes, the disc is grabbed, moved out of the cartridge partially, then put back. The disc is never brought all the way to the spindle. It does this to disc's 2-6, starting with #6, but does not grab disc 1. Is that normal? On the head unit, if disc 2-6 is chosen, Disc Error is displayed. If disc 1 is chosen, No Disc is displayed. I can see nothing wrong on the inside, but then again, I wouldn't know what to look for. I am able to move gears, and of the ones I can move, they seem fine. If I grab the tray as it is moving, I can get it to go all the way out, with a little help, so I know it isn't binding up. I have tried two cartridges, same result. I can manually make the disk go all the way by turning the gears, they do not meet any resistance. I lubricated most gears with silicone, no change. It still wont take the disc all the way to the spindle.

chamilun
10-14-2004, 08:31 AM
thats what im getting at. this isnt an electronics problem, its a mechanical problem.

you may find that bending/adjusting a few pieces ever so slightly will allow the piece to move smoothly and all the way across.

as you can tell, i recently repaired my own.

all2kool
10-14-2004, 11:47 AM
thats what im getting at. this isnt an electronics problem, its a mechanical problem.

you may find that bending/adjusting a few pieces ever so slightly will allow the piece to move smoothly and all the way across.

I appreciate the help very much. I suspect that you are right - the mechanism is meeting resistance and therefore moving on to the next disc. I am still confused as to why it never grabs disc 1. I just don't see where the resistance is. Everything looks good, but as I said, I wouldn't know if it looked bad. What did you have to adjust or bend to free it up? Thanks again for the help.

all2kool
10-14-2004, 01:23 PM
The guy I bought it from is willing to take it back. My neighbor gave me an AC Delco branded CDX-M61, so I will just install it. It's what I should have done in the first place. I never thought to see what it was he had when he offered it to me a month ago. It came out of his 1993 Chevy S-10 Pickup, so I just assumed it wouldn't work in the BMW. I will need to find another adapter...anyone have a BMWPIO they want to part with?

all2kool
10-14-2004, 08:37 PM

Something is amiss for sure. My neighbor gave me his AC Delco branded Pioneer CDX-M61, the two are nearly identical, and it moves through all 6 discs just fine. It takes longer too - indicating that the discs are moving all the way. I suspect the CDX-M30 was damaged in shipping as there wasn't much packaging material around it, a single layer of bubble wrap only. I suspect it got squished a bit. Thanks all for helping me through this ordeal of getting CD tunes in the 525. I'll have to order a BMWPIO of course. Fortunately, Audio Express is issuing an RMA for the $40 BMWPIO/M that I no longer need. Now I need a BMWPIO - anyone have one they wish to part with?