PDA

View Full Version : 89' 535ia early upshift problem (please help)

dbluband
10-10-2004, 07:41 AM
OK guys, any advice would be apprciated.

I changed tranny fluid and filter (Problem was there before fluid change). The good news is that when I dropped the pan, there were no chuncks of metal. The fluid was pretty thick, but not too brown, more dirty. So after driving the car, here is how the tranny behaves.

Economy mode - Shifts nice and smooth, always upshifts at around 2200 rpm, even when WOT, any gear except 4th.

Sport mode - Shifts nice and smooth, always upshifts at around 2200 rpm, even when WOT, any gear except 4th.

Manual mode - Will stay in the gear I select and will shift right away when next gear is selected.

I would think this is more of a electrical problem, but I'm not too familiar with transmissions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Bluband

dbluband
10-11-2004, 08:47 AM
OK guys, any advice would be apprciated.

I changed tranny fluid and filter (Problem was there before fluid change). The good news is that when I dropped the pan, there were no chuncks of metal. The fluid was pretty thick, but not too brown, more dirty. So after driving the car, here is how the tranny behaves.

Economy mode - Shifts nice and smooth, always upshifts at around 2200 rpm, even when WOT, any gear except 4th.

Sport mode - Shifts nice and smooth, always upshifts at around 2200 rpm, even when WOT, any gear except 4th.

Manual mode - Will stay in the gear I select and will shift right away when next gear is selected.

I would think this is more of a electrical problem, but I'm not too familiar with transmissions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Bluband

632 Regal
10-11-2004, 12:12 PM
k, sounds like your kickdown switch is not working or you may have a selenoid problem. the switch is the one under the gas pedal, you may be able to check it for power and if it does have power then to go under the car to the trans area and once you figure which is for the kickdown check for power there (with pedal fully depressed). You also might want to troubleshoot through the fuses and or relays, these cars have fuses for everything.

dbluband
10-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks,

I'll give that a look.

Dave