PDA

View Full Version : Just when i think the E34 is perfect, i seem to make it better.

bimmerd00d
10-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Installed Bilstein HD Sports tonight, along with new sway bar links. No more clunk, and it's like night and day when you come from the Auto Zone special original shocks that were in there :) It corners about 60% more flat than with the old crappy ones, and I still have to install the rear ones tomorrow. New coilpacks and plugs are tomorrow. Also, anyone have an idea on how to remove a completely stripped out rotor screw? They are so rusted that even after a good soaking of liquid wrench, they're just frozen and the metal is so soft that they just stripped completely and are round. Can i drill them out or anything?

PS: Bruno, where are my subframe inserts!!!!!! :D

misfortune
10-10-2004, 06:23 AM
Installed Bilstein HD Sports tonight, along with new sway bar links. No more clunk, and it's like night and day when you come from the Auto Zone special original shocks that were in there :) It corners about 60% more flat than with the old crappy ones, and I still have to install the rear ones tomorrow. New coilpacks and plugs are tomorrow. Also, anyone have an idea on how to remove a completely stripped out rotor screw? They are so rusted that even after a good soaking of liquid wrench, they're just frozen and the metal is so soft that they just stripped completely and are round. Can i drill them out or anything?

Glad to see your turning strut jobs with no problem now. :) Lemme know if you need an extra set of hands, and thx for the help from before.

western99
10-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Get a revers drill bit, drill in slow and slightly and it will come out as long as you are centered and you do not take out the threading on the rotor. Be careful but it works. I had to do it on my car.

Brian

95 525ia 200k kms[

QUOTE=bimmerd00d]Installed Bilstein HD Sports tonight, along with new sway bar links. No more clunk, and it's like night and day when you come from the Auto Zone special original shocks that were in there :) It corners about 60% more flat than with the old crappy ones, and I still have to install the rear ones tomorrow. New coilpacks and plugs are tomorrow. Also, anyone have an idea on how to remove a completely stripped out rotor screw? They are so rusted that even after a good soaking of liquid wrench, they're just frozen and the metal is so soft that they just stripped completely and are round. Can i drill them out or anything?

PS: Bruno, where are my subframe inserts!!!!!! :D[/QUOTE]

mholbrook
10-10-2004, 09:14 AM
I always use a Craftsman impact driver to take out those screws if they are even remotely stuck. Because of the soft metal. I have another cheap asian impact driver that does not work as well. Just a firm twist and a tap of the hammer does it for me every time. If it is completely stripped out, drill out the head and pull the rotor. Then soak with PB Blaster or your favorite liquid wrench and try the vice grips. Or cut a slot in it after the rotor is out and try again.

Jon K
10-10-2004, 03:19 PM

told ya you'd notice the difference brandon... ;) but which did you put in Bilstein HD or Bilstein sport?

bimmerd00d
10-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Glad to see your turning strut jobs with no problem now. :) Lemme know if you need an extra set of hands, and thx for the help from before.

Come on our drive this weekend. Should only be from about 8am to 4-5pm. So far we have about 10 cars going, it will be lots of fun, and i'm the only e34 there :D

MaloventEvil
10-11-2004, 01:02 AM
yes the suspension upgrades for the e34 are great. does anyone know where a person can pick up a set of GC coilovers for the e34 540?

Patrick
10-11-2004, 01:15 AM
I had a rotor screw that wouldn't budge and of course stripped. I tried to drill it out and that didn't work well. So... if you're not reusing your rotors (like a decent and responsible E34 owner), take a BFH and hammer the back of the rotor until the rotor brakes and comes off -it'll take some effort. You'll be able to use a pair of vise-grips or pliers to get a hold of the head of the screw and get it out from there.
Hope this helps.

Patrick
10-11-2004, 01:19 AM
I had a rotor screw that wouldn't budge and of course stripped. I tried to drill it out and that didn't work well. So... if you're not reusing your rotors (like a decent and responsible E34 owner), take a BFH and hammer the back of the rotor until the rotor brakes and comes off -it'll take some effort. You'll be able to use a pair of vise-grips or pliers to get a hold of the head of the screw and get it out from there.
Hope this helps.

bimmerd00d
10-11-2004, 01:36 AM
Hope this helps.
Got it, impact driver + flat chisel tip = no more bolt! :D