PDA

View Full Version : help! keyless entry!

MaloventEvil
10-09-2004, 08:13 PM
I have a 1995 540i and i wanted to fix the keyless entry (i just got the car and dont know whats wrong with it). I tried changing the batteries on the keys and recoding them via the manual's instructions but it still doesnt work. The central locking still works by hand (ie if i press down the lock) but i cant get the remote stuff to work. Does anyone know how to fix it? Is it a fuse problem?

edit: i also looked under the back seat and i dont see the "factory alarm connector", but my keys are the keyless keys and there is a LED in the middle of the vent on the dash (directly under the rear view mirror)

MaloventEvil
10-10-2004, 02:27 AM
I have a 1995 540i and i wanted to fix the keyless entry (i just got the car and dont know whats wrong with it). I tried changing the batteries on the keys and recoding them via the manual's instructions but it still doesnt work. The central locking still works by hand (ie if i press down the lock) but i cant get the remote stuff to work. Does anyone know how to fix it? Is it a fuse problem?

edit: i also looked under the back seat and i dont see the "factory alarm connector", but my keys are the keyless keys and there is a LED in the middle of the vent on the dash (directly under the rear view mirror)

please... someone help me?

Johntee540
10-10-2004, 08:31 AM
if you do a search on the archives here and on Roadfly you will find this issue discussed adnauseum. However - you may not have the unit itself in the car - it seems.

On my car - I have the dreaded intermittent locking nad unlocking from the key with the CLS. The solution to this - according to the boards is - replace the Fusible Link under the rear seat that runs to the OBC. Going to do that this week as the part just came in.

If I were you - I would look up the part number in the TDK for the CLS. See what the heck you are looking for looks like - and then see if you can locate it under the rear seat. There are a couple of square black plastic modules there. The one you want has a wire antenna coming out of it. If that is missing - I would then go to the dealer and see about replacing it. The previous owner may have removed it due to problems with it. - JT

Shaun
10-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Okay, here's the deal.

M.Evil has a 1995, which came with a slightly different setup than your '94. There is an EWS-II unit behind the glovebox apparently, which I've never had the need to access. From everything I've read, this unit is central to the EWS-II keyless setup. Now, in M.Evil's case, I'm not sure if the cause is a bad EWS unit, or something different. I'm guessing it's the EWS unit, and not the transponder key or receiver ring around the ignition, else he couldn't start his car.

I thought the EWS-II setup was passive; i.e. even if you don't lock your car up with the keyless "lock", the EWS setup would still prevent the car from being started. Is this not the case?

MaloventEvil
10-10-2004, 03:29 PM
to clarify: my central locking with the keys still works perfectly, i just dont have keyless entry. If anyone knows where to look for problems please let me know!

MaloventEvil
10-10-2004, 03:30 PM
also what is thing about having the battery's out of the key for more than a minute?

Shaun
10-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Never heard about the "one minute" thing.

MaloventEvil
10-11-2004, 12:59 AM
so am i dead in the water? does anyone know what i can do?

632 Regal
10-11-2004, 12:19 PM
keyless option under the seat as mentioned. could have been removed, not be working or was never installed in the car at all. anyone can have a key made on the keyless blank. once you verify if you have it or not you can go further such as trying to reprogram the system.

Shaun
10-11-2004, 03:02 PM
There will be no keyless module under the rear seat for his car.

It's (so I've been told) apparently integrated into the EWS unit.

The antenna for the keyless is in the rear view mirror base.

I have a EWS-II schematic, I'll dig it up after work.

MaloventEvil
10-11-2004, 08:42 PM
that would be awesome if you could.

Shaun
10-12-2004, 01:00 AM
Okay, upon further research, I think I've found a possible culprit.

There is, in addition to the EWS-II control module, a EWS-II Transmitter/Reciever module, part no. 61358379502.

Perhaps yours has issues. It appears to be a <$75 part, and I'd guess it'd be easiest to start here. Replacing the EWS-II control module is a costly ordeal requiring your car to be re-keyed and coded.

If you find your Tx/Rx module, it might be labeled with part no. 61358362337, which is the original version of the Tx/Rx module.

Hope this helps!

Ps, if you have any trouble, PM or email me. I'll help as best I can.