PDA

View Full Version : Replaced rear pitman arms (dogbones) 95 525i

Russell
10-09-2004, 10:10 AM
I just replaced my rear pitman arms (dogbones). The old ones were rather loose and rubbery. The new ones (Lemforder from BMA) were much stiifer and harder to move. Took me about 1 3/4 hours inlcuding jacking the car up and removing the wheels. There was some corrosion on the inner bolts that made it a bit more difficult.

Even so, I am not sure I can tell any difference in my tendency to wander. This is my main concern. I think there is less dive when braking (better anti-dive going on) and an overall impression of more tightness and precision especially in cornering.

I recently installed Bruno's blue rear bushing inserts and red front thurst arm inserts. It seems as if all these components help to make the car handle more like new and more solid. The front thurst arm inserts also eliminated a slight front end vibration. However, still some wander.

Next is new front struts to attack the front end. They are original struts with 100,000 miles.

Any advice. I want to keep the car stock.

Jeff N.
10-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Russell, tires seem to make quite a difference in tramlining. I run 16" rims with a 55 series tire so the comparison is not the same but - when I swapped out my pretty run out Yoko AVS db tires for some new Bridgestone RE750's - the difference was amazing. With the Yoko's I had a severe tramline problem. Nada with the Bridgestones.

I think you're on the right track chasing out worn suspension components but tires seem to play quite a big role as well.

Bimmer Nut Ed
10-09-2004, 11:52 AM
You got any pictures of those dogbones. I want to see if they are what I am thinking they are. And how difficult was it to install. If it's what I think, is it as simple as removing the bolts and replacing?

Thanks.

Russell
10-09-2004, 12:44 PM
I noticed the same wandering issue with my pevious tires worn out Toyo Ultra 800s T-rated touring tire in 205/65/15 size. I was hoping the new Bridgestones would help. I could not tell any change at all.

BTW, I have rotated twice in about 12,000 miles on the tires and have not noticed any change in wandering. However, I have noticed increased wandering if I lose 2-3 pounds air in one of the tires. The car seems very sensitive to tire pressure.

Thanks again,

Russell, tires seem to make quite a difference in tramlining. I run 16" rims with a 55 series tire so the comparison is not the same but - when I swapped out my pretty run out Yoko AVS db tires for some new Bridgestone RE750's - the difference was amazing. With the Yoko's I had a severe tramline problem. Nada with the Bridgestones.

I think you're on the right track chasing out worn suspension components but tires seem to play quite a big role as well.

Russell
10-09-2004, 12:50 PM
However, I think BMA and Bavarian Auto has them on their web sites. BMA has the lemforder for about $40 or so each. They were easy to take off. I believe, Burno's E34 page has photos of how to do the deed.

You got any pictures of those dogbones. I want to see if they are what I am thinking they are. And how difficult was it to install. If it's what I think, is it as simple as removing the bolts and replacing?

Thanks.

Bimmer Nut Ed
10-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Found this on Ebay, yes thats what I was thinking of, but I believe ours, or stock, have soft rubber covers over the joint like a ball joint. Maybe its there in the pic and I just think otherwise. mine are cracked and seems to be rusty, cause of the orange corrosion coming out between the rubber.

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/f2/e3/1d_1_b.JPG

Bimmer Nut Ed
10-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Found this on Ebay, yes thats what I was thinking of, but I believe ours, or stock, have soft rubber covers over the joint like a ball joint. Maybe its there in the pic and I just think otherwise. mine are cracked and seems to be rusty, cause of the orange corrosion coming out between the rubber.

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/f2/e3/1d_1_b.JPG

I could not locate this on Bruno's site.

RobPatt
10-09-2004, 01:33 PM
... I always get nervous when digging into the car.. I read this person or that said how painless a procedure is, and I think, 'yeah, they haven't seen me work..'. I'm not so mechanically inclined, but I've learned one certain thing about BMWs, thus far... if it's too terribly hard, you're probably going about it the wrong way....so I step back, rethink, relook, and typically I discover a way about twice as easy as my original plan. :p

...so for bimmer nut ed, here's a link to a pic I just found.... repacement was REAL easy, search archives for procedure...

http://www.maximumautoparts.com/BM_Pitman~Arm_mo.html

doing motor and tranny mounts later today...
cheers, Rob.

However, I think BMA and Bavarian Auto has them on their web sites. BMA has the lemforder for about $40 or so each. They were easy to take off. I believe, Burno's E34 page has photos of how to do the deed.

RobPatt
10-09-2004, 01:49 PM
jack up rear, remove wheels, put jackstand under rear control arm, and lower so the control arm is on the stand... this should make removal/reinstall of the arm, pitman arm, easier... saturate with PB Blaster, assemble tools. 22mm socket w/a long arm rachet, and 22mm (else it's 17) open/box wrench.... remove the bolts, remove the arm, pay attention to washer orientation.... put back together... longest part of the process is the jacking, tire removal, and you're done.... you cannot do the job w/o removing the rear tire....('least I couldn't) cheers, Rob.

Russell
10-09-2004, 05:56 PM
I printed my copy of the instructions several months ago. I guess they were removed.