PDA

View Full Version : 3 Series Rims on an E34 Problem

The Melmaan
10-09-2004, 01:52 AM
I bought some rims from the net for my E34 5 series and found out that it does not fit cause it is hitting the strut tower and ball joint. I'm currently buying some hubcentric wheel adapters of about 25mm thick to have the tires move away from the strut towers. I was wondering if anybody have ran into a similar situation? If there is, would like to find out what was the effect of installing wheel adapters or this thick? :(

Paul in NZ
10-09-2004, 03:44 AM
wheels arent good on our e34,s.I would not intall 25 mm spacers,sell the wheels and look here (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/wheels_upgrade.htm) for advice

BigTim
10-09-2004, 01:42 PM
I ran into the same problem when I bought some m-style rims from an E46. I bought 25mm hub adapters to solve the problem. These are made for the BMW and bolt onto the hub through the lug holes. Not cheap though, cost about $600NZ - however they work very well.

Mobius
10-10-2004, 12:59 PM
If there is, would like to find out what was the effect of installing wheel adapters or this thick? :(Reduced safety. Make DAMN sure the adaptors you get are hubcentric.

(nearly) 1" thick spacers need (nearly) 1" longer lug bolts. By moving the wheel out that far, you're placing a LOT more stress on these bolts. I'm not going to say they will snap, but there's a greatly increased chance that it could happen.

For a show car, sure. For a daily driver, I know I wouldn't do it.

632 Regal
10-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Reduced safety. Make DAMN sure the adaptors you get are hubcentric.

(nearly) 1" thick spacers need (nearly) 1" longer lug bolts. By moving the wheel out that far, you're placing a LOT more stress on these bolts. I'm not going to say they will snap, but there's a greatly increased chance that it could happen.

The Melmaan
10-10-2004, 10:55 PM
Reduced safety. Make DAMN sure the adaptors you get are hubcentric.

================================================== ========
The hubs that I'm trying to get are hubcentric in which there are a set of studs that connect the spacer to the hub and another set that will connect to the tires. I realize that there will be enormous stress on the studs if it will be more than 1" long. I thank you so much.
If I find that I can still make the spacers narrower, I will do it using a lathe.