PDA

View Full Version : E34 ABS light diagnosis

UK E34
10-08-2004, 06:25 PM
The ABS light is on. Doesn't go out.

It used to be fine, then one day decided to stay on.

I replaced the front struts shortly before the ABS light problem, though it was all OK after the job, just started a couple of weeks after.

I've checked the wiring/connectors to the wheel sensors and they all seem to be OK, as was the wiring to the ABS unit by the fuse box. I cleaned the exteriors of the wheel sensors (did not remove them) as they were dusty.

I'm guessing a faulty wheel sensor? How can I tell which one it is or if it is something else??

Thanks in advance for any replies/advice/solutions/ideas!!

Brakes haven't been worked on since a fluid change at BMW 10 months ago.

Bimmer Nut Ed
10-09-2004, 03:33 AM
Similar thing happened to me, I'm also assuming it's one of the wheel sensors. Mine stayed on after hitting a big pot hole. You may just want to have a Bimmer shop reset the ABS system. It's supposed to just take a minute and they may do it free. I tried to do mine using a Bav Auto reset tool to no avail. I have just left mine at fault, cause I installed a MOMO wheel anyway (no more airbag)! The MOMO wheel gave me much more leg room as I am 6'4" and needed that extra room to do my "clutchwork".

WarrenBrown
10-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Try removing the the sensors and cleaning the working side. Most likely you will find that they are covered with iron filings.

Warren Brown
91 318is
95 525iT

UK E34
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Try removing the the sensors and cleaning the working side. Most likely you will find that they are covered with iron filings.

Warren Brown
91 318is
95 525iT

Thanks guys.

I'll try removing them and cleaning them out. Can I just unscrew the socket cap/Allen bolt without removing anything else to pull them?

Thanks again!

632 Regal
10-11-2004, 06:34 PM
you will have to be careful wiggling them out cause there is usually a stiff grease on them, at least mine was real tight. Clean them up, if there was a ton of metal on them the fault is because the filings grounded to the backing plate (usually).

andyman32
10-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Sheesh, my light is on too. Happened after I lowered my friggin tire pressure. What luck.

UK E34
10-12-2004, 04:39 AM
Is there an ABS system fuse I could check too?

If so where is it, since it doesn't seem to be listed....

Thanks everyone!

WarrenBrown
10-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Try fuse 1 and 17.

Warren
91 318is
95 525iT