PDA

View Full Version : What's this pic represent?

Bimmer Nut Ed
10-08-2004, 05:58 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/ed/shock.jpg

It may be obvious to some, but since I knew Bimmerd00d was doing his rear shocks, I thought I'd share. I just did the rears in my daughters salt torn 1992 535im and what a pain popping that shock sleeve out of the cast iron hub hole was!!!!!

So, here's a trick I did. Others may have done the same, but as far as I know, this is new to me. Since the shock sits on rubber you can't get a good whack with a hammer on that sleeve. So, I drilled a hole through the bottom of the shock and screwed a bolt through it. Right through the bottom, through the rubber, through the sleeve, and the top. This provided for a solid contact thus nulifying the rubber bushing. Couple whacks with the hammer later, and that sucker came right off! It also helps if you put your foot on the rotor while you're whacking on it, that takes the pressure off the sleeve. Put some weight in a downward direction on the rotor with the foot, not upward, all the bushings and the rest hold that suspension up with more force than I ever would have thought!

Oh, here's some cool pics of my salt water aquarium for those of you interested. I just happened to take them off my camera at the same time.

http://www.bimmer.info/ed/show/

SharkmanBMW
10-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Beautiful fish Ed... post more anytime you can!

632 Regal
10-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Nice Fish!! I love that setup. Do you have better pics of the snooze tube thing or whatever its called?

Bimmer Nut Ed
10-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Actually that is exactly what I did, greesed that puppy right up. Never want to deal with that problem again. But with lifetime warantee Bilsteins, maybe I won't have to. You should have seen the first shock, I ended up breaking the rubber from the shock, so I have just the sleeve to try to pull out of that damn hole. Ended up drilling a hole in the sleeve, and putting a bolt in it, then using a air hammer on it. That's how I thought of putting the bolt right through it from the start.

And there are more pics of the Aqua-Bridge at www.Aqua-Bridge.com. I'll try to get some better ones of the Tang cruizing through it. He's always whipping through the bridge, but I'll just have to try to catch him in motion, might be tough, he's pretty quick.

Oh, and for those who don't know, www.edsaquarium.com has some other pics.

Nice Fish!! I love that setup. Do you have better pics of the snooze tube thing or whatever its called?

Dave M
10-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Pardon the child-like depiction of my problematic shock removal. I had the same problem as Ed, but found a different way to skin the same cat. By sliding a 4" long 1/4" dive extension through the shock sleeve (where the bolt was), I was able to simply use my puller to pop it off with little effort and hammering.

Thought I'd share,

Dave M

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Steering-Suspension/shockremovaltrick.jpg

Bimmer Nut Ed
10-09-2004, 03:06 AM
At least on mine, it was stuck so bad, that technique would have ripped right through the rubber bushing, so I think my bolt through the sleeve and shock still would have been necessary. See how ugly and corroded the bottom of my shock and sleeve are. Great idea, and great drawing, thanks for sharing.

Pardon the child-like depiction of my problematic shock removal. I had the same problem as Ed, but found a different way to skin the same cat. By sliding a 4" long 1/4" dive extension through the shock sleeve (where the bolt was), I was able to simply use my puller to pop it off with little effort and hammering.

Thought I'd share,

Dave M

Brandon J
10-09-2004, 02:41 PM
That's what I did, but I just screwed the same bolt in a few threads. It stuck out enough for the shock to slip right off. Took me less than 3 minutes to remove the bottom of the shock. It was even easy on an '86 e28 with original shocks.

Thought I'd share,

Dave M

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Steering-Suspension/shockremovaltrick.jpg