PDA

View Full Version : steering collar nut, how tight are these things?

632 Regal
10-07-2004, 03:12 PM
I made a half assed attempt to tighten it but didnt want to rip the **** out of everything I couldnt unhook and couldnt get good leverage on it. Is this thing really tight? All my play is between the steering shaft and the steering wheel...dead give away right?

JonE
10-07-2004, 03:19 PM
A large crescent fit ok on mine and I tightened fairly snug, no hammering or anything...
I've heard that too tight can mess up the steering wheel tilt/telescopic feature, won't adjust. I don't have the feature though. Hee, hee maybe you can get more leverage with your "orc" blade fan clutch tool Jeff!

Mr Project
10-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I just kept moving the tilt/telescope feature after each tightening of the nut. It got real obvious when it was too tight, so I backed off a little from there. Kinda like doing a wheel bearing by feel. :)

632 Regal
10-07-2004, 06:20 PM
cause play between the steering wheel and the steering box U-joint?

I should actually fire up the ETK

mikemaster
10-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Let me know what you find out. I have looseness in that area as well.

PhilipJCaputo
10-07-2004, 10:36 PM
I've tried to get that nut loose as well... it won't budge a bit

I'm not sure if this is related.... BUT! when I telescope my wheel part of the way in, it doesn't sit solid.... I can pull the wheel out by hand a good inch.... and then I can push it back down about an inch...

when the wheel is totally extended it is solid... and whne it is totally compressed it is solid as well... just some spots in the middle where it can move in and out by hand...

632 Regal
10-07-2004, 11:06 PM
there has to be logic to this but I havent had a chance to really look it up yet.

PhilipJCaputo
10-07-2004, 11:30 PM
but from what I can tell.. there isn't any play down by the nut... everything seems to be tight as can be...

But I've got some tie rods to replace.... hopefully that'll tighten things up for me.... if that doesn't work I might life the engine and tighten the steering box (next summer)