PDA

View Full Version : has anyone used ding repair before??

gamjohn2
10-06-2004, 09:32 PM
When I purchased my '94 525i, the only problem that I had was that there were many dings on both sides of the car. I was wondering if anyone has ever used "Ding Masters" or similar-type service and if so, how much did it cost?? What was the average price per ding and were you satisfied with their service?? Thanks in advance for your input. :D

632 Regal
10-06-2004, 09:39 PM
pops a dent?

gamjohn2
10-06-2004, 10:21 PM
I really don't think that "pops-a-dent" would work. Also, I've heard that contraption isn't as effective as it claims.

dternst
10-06-2004, 11:20 PM
When I purchased my '94 525i, the only problem that I had was that there were many dings on both sides of the car. I was wondering if anyone has ever used "Ding Masters" or similar-type service and if so, how much did it cost?? What was the average price per ding and were you satisfied with their service?? Thanks in advance for your input. :D

I spent $500 to remove a variety dings and dents, in various sizes, in my '95 530i. Most PDRs charge for location, severity, and size of the ding or dent. I had 35-40 "areas" needing repair.

The best advise: Shop around. I had quotes as high as $1500.

David

Dan in NZ
10-07-2004, 12:49 AM
For the little dings you get in parking lots, you can (carefully) heat up the ding and surrounding area with a heat gun, then use a tiny nozzle of compressed air on the ding itself. The compressed air comes out cold (expanding gas law), and contracts the sheetmetal in that are... That's the theory anyway, I've never tried it myself, but I hear it works well.

Reuben Lim
10-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Even on bigger dents, they can do excellent work, saving you money and keeping the original paint intact. But only if the paint itself has not cracked. If you're not a stickler, they can pencil in the paint, fill in the line and rub it in, but depends on your car color and you may still be unsatisfied with the end result. Also, ask them to refer you to satisfied customers, or if you can watch them in action. A light and delicate touch needed here, otherwise they will botch up the repair and you'll have to go for the repaint anyway.