PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control question

Jason
10-06-2004, 10:50 AM
i figured out why it wasn't working. it was more obvious than the clutch switch, the cable was broken (im hoping this is the only reason). can i just replace the cable or does the whole unit need to be replaced? I need everything including that little accordian looking black plastic thing it became v. brittle and just snapped off in my hand. I found out this morning while getting an oil change that it had broken but I couldnt figure out how to remove cable from the cruise control unit, any pointers?
TIA
Jason

infinity5
10-06-2004, 12:58 PM
BMW did a factory recall on cruise control cables for that very reason (i think, coughcough) Try looking up some information on recalls, you might have the right year/model. I'm not entirely sure, but this is what i've heard as i've asked around becuase my cruise control does not work either (the cable happens to be fine) good luck :)

rommel
10-06-2004, 01:12 PM
...It was a little scary. I stepped on the clutch and the engine raced. The cruise was Stuck!! I geared down to 3rd and got off the next exit and pulled over at Burger King. I had to stall the car in 3rd as the throttle was stuck. I disconnected the cruise cable and I was able to drive home. I opened up the unit and the shaft was rusted. The cable was ok. I called BMA and got a $400 quote on the servo. I bought a used one, in excellent condition, from the salvage yard with the cable for $25. I works great. The cable is a little long as it came off of a 735 of the same year. I have a new cruise and accelarator cable coming from BMA.

rommel
90 535iM 5spd
360K Miles

i figured out why it wasn't working. it was more obvious than the clutch switch, the cable was broken (im hoping this is the only reason). can i just replace the cable or does the whole unit need to be replaced? I need everything including that little accordian looking black plastic thing it became v. brittle and just snapped off in my hand. I found out this morning while getting an oil change that it had broken but I couldnt figure out how to remove cable from the cruise control unit, any pointers?
TIA
Jason

Jason
10-06-2004, 01:30 PM
...It was a little scary. I stepped on the clutch and the engine raced. The cruise was Stuck!! I geared down to 3rd and got off the next exit and pulled over at Burger King. I had to stall the car in 3rd as the throttle was stuck. I disconnected the cruise cable and I was able to drive home. I opened up the unit and the shaft was rusted. The cable was ok. I called BMA and got a $400 quote on the servo. I bought a used one, in excellent condition, from the salvage yard with the cable for $25. I works great. The cable is a little long as it came off of a 735 of the same year. I have a new cruise and accelarator cable coming from BMA.

rommel
90 535iM 5spd
360K Miles

infinity5
10-06-2004, 01:35 PM
My cruise will hold steady for about 30seconds and then VERY VERY slowly reduce speed.. 1mph at a time.. until i look down and i'm going 20under... the second i tap the accelerater pedal it speeds up fast at lightening to the original set speed and then slowly creeps back down.. once i set the speed the electronic controls stop working.. once it starts creeping down i can't accelerate using the steering wheel lever. 25$ is all? wow.. i think i need to do that... just hope there are a few in good condition laying around the junk yard.

rommel
10-06-2004, 01:46 PM
....I was able to remove the cable from the servo in the old one, the end just pops out and you have to disconnect the cable from the rubber band looking thing that comes out of the servo.

rommel
10-06-2004, 01:48 PM
was crushed, it was missing from the third vehicle that i looked at and bingo, the fourth car had it intact. the cars were all beside each other, about 2 dozen bimmers.

rommel
90 535iM 5spd
360K Miles

My cruise will hold steady for about 30seconds and then VERY VERY slowly reduce speed.. 1mph at a time.. until i look down and i'm going 20under... the second i tap the accelerater pedal it speeds up fast at lightening to the original set speed and then slowly creeps back down.. once i set the speed the electronic controls stop working.. once it starts creeping down i can't accelerate using the steering wheel lever. 25$ is all? wow.. i think i need to do that... just hope there are a few in good condition laying around the junk yard.

Mobius
10-06-2004, 02:16 PM
BMW did a factory recall on cruise control cables for that very reason (i think, coughcough) Try looking up some information on recalls, you might have the right year/model. I'm not entirely sure, but this is what i've heard as i've asked around becuase my cruise control does not work either (the cable happens to be fine) good luck :)
The recall (from what I understand) pertains only to the ends of the CC and throttle cables where they meet the adjustment screws. Over time the cable housing can slip out of the adjuster and lodge against it like this (http://home.comcast.net/~rjchristie2/SA/535i/IMG_3292s.jpg) causing the engine to rev uncontrollably.

The recall apparently involved just these little bent paperclip thingies that snap around the cable end (like this (http://home.comcast.net/~rjchristie2/SA/535i/IMG_3291s.jpg)) and keep it from popping out of the adjustment.. thingie..