PDA

View Full Version : noob needs new tires to fit on stock e34 wheel

BaltJack
10-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Hi guys -

I'm the proud owner of a new (to-me) 1989 525i. The previous owner left it sitting broken for quite a while, but it's running now. I hit highway speeds for the first time and got shakes >60mph. i suspect the tires, and after taking a look, it's about time to get new ones anyways.

BMWE34.NET says that a popular upgrade is to put 225/60-15 onto the stock wheels. The stock is 205/65-15.

knowing very little about tires, my question is : is it safe/ok to put wider tires onto a rim that was made to take thinner ones? How does this work? And can you guys recommend any tires for general driving? i'm looking for a good balance between performance and treadlife. it rarely snows here.

thanks a bunch. its awsome to find a group of enthusiasts for my car.

-balt

Tiger
10-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Yes, it is fine to put on 225 but your problem is not the tire... it is the upper control arm bushing shot... aka thrust arm. Typical problem.

western99
10-06-2004, 10:35 AM
They have about 60%-70% tread on them and are 225/60-15. Great ride. Let me know if you are interested. But it sounds like you have more of a thrust are problem.

Brian
95 525 ia

Hi guys -

I'm the proud owner of a new (to-me) 1989 525i. The previous owner left it sitting broken for quite a while, but it's running now. I hit highway speeds for the first time and got shakes >60mph. i suspect the tires, and after taking a look, it's about time to get new ones anyways.

BMWE34.NET says that a popular upgrade is to put 225/60-15 onto the stock wheels. The stock is 205/65-15.

knowing very little about tires, my question is : is it safe/ok to put wider tires onto a rim that was made to take thinner ones? How does this work? And can you guys recommend any tires for general driving? i'm looking for a good balance between performance and treadlife. it rarely snows here.

thanks a bunch. its awsome to find a group of enthusiasts for my car.

-balt

bimmerd00d
10-06-2004, 11:04 AM
sitting broken would cause a tire to dry rot and flatspot, so it very well might be the tires, as well as a possibly bad bushing.

Jon K
10-06-2004, 11:24 AM
sitting broken would cause a tire to dry rot and flatspot, so it very well might be the tires, as well as a possibly bad bushing.

But the German in me says replace both to cover your ass...

rockyfeller
10-06-2004, 02:40 PM
What kind of michelins?? I'd be interested.

BaltJack
10-06-2004, 10:53 PM
But the German in me says replace both to cover your ass...

yeah. i'm leaning towards doing both as well. The tires look like they've got about a 1/4 tread left, and from my understanding had been sitting (not moved) for over a year. the thought of the control arm/bushing hadn't even entered my mind until now. with a little help (from you guys), i'm gonna get this thing running good. :D

any tips/experiences on tires? ie. "i had XXXX on my car..." or "stay the hell away from XXXX" ?

-balt