PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Gasket

all2kool
10-05-2004, 07:18 PM
So my 1992 525i occasionally dispenses radiator fluid right out the front of fan pulley, not always, just 1 out 5 drivings. So I ordered and received a new water pump, metal impeller version, but there is no gasket in the box. I shop around for one, but no one seems to have one. Does this mean there isn't a water pump gasket?

Mr. BILL
10-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Did it come with an "O" ring? If I remember right, you need an "O" ring, not a gasket.

all2kool
10-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Nope, just the pump in a box. No rings, no gasket, nuttin'.

winfred
10-06-2004, 08:57 AM
somebody may of filtched it, all of the m50 pumps i've installed have come with the o-ring

BaltJack
10-06-2004, 09:21 AM
i just replaced the water pump in my 525 as well. i got my pump from autozone, and it didn't have a gasket either. i just used some gunk/seal/gasket stuff that my buddy had in the garage to ensure a good seal.

I've been driving around about a week since that installation, it seems to work fine. i can find out what that gunk was if you want, but you can probably find something similar at any old autoparts store...

-balt

Mr. BILL
10-06-2004, 09:35 AM
try this:http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/mercedesshop/sophio/wizard.jsp?partner=mercedesshop&clientid=mercedesshop&baseurl=http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/&cookieid=1CH1DBKNJ&year=1992&make=BM&model=525-I-002&category=G&part=Water+Pump+O-Ring

billb
10-06-2004, 09:38 AM
So my 1992 525i occasionally dispenses radiator fluid right out the front of fan pulley, not always, just 1 out 5 drivings. So I ordered and received a new water pump, metal impeller version, but there is no gasket in the box. I shop around for one, but no one seems to have one. Does this mean there isn't a water pump gasket?

is already installed on the pump. You don't add a gasket to seal the pump to the front of the motor. You just lube the o-ring lightly with antifreeze to get it to slide into the bore smoothly, then tighten it to something like 9-10 ft-lbs. There are NO "gaskets" on my '95 M50, only three sealing rings (one for the thermostat housing, one between the thermostat and the thermostat housing, and the third on the water pump.