PDA

View Full Version : New 93 octane (AKI) (97 RON) M20 chip coming soon

MarkD
10-05-2004, 06:56 AM
I've got a new chip in the pipeline that has been developed for E30 325i's with the 0 261 200 173 DME. It's in testing here in Toronto and soon will be tested in Louisiana also. There is a report on it here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12728 but you may have to register to read the thread so I've pasted the first post below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mystikal
e30 Enthusiast

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:26 am Post subject: 93-Octane MarkD chip in testing, feedback

I spent a few hours over at Mark D'Sylva's house yesterday afternoon, he developed a chip with ignition and fuel configurations that will need a minimum of 93 octane to prevent detonation. This is for the M20B25, 173 ECU.

When I arrived, I had a 1/3 tank of 91. We put the chip in anyways, and went for a test run. Sure enough, the pinging above 4500RPM was intense, and I wouldn't dare go above 5500 WOT. We stop off at a Sunoco, and fill up with 94 (I love Canada). If you didn't fail high school math, you'll realize the mixture in the tank is now 93. Another set of runs, and the pinging all the way up to redline (6900 or so) is gone. The acceleration difference is noticeable, especially in the lower gears as the rush to redline I've grown accustomed to is shorter. In the night I visit the freeway and make a few runs north of 130mph. Feels good, above 6000 in 4th is now useful.

The changes made were the advancing of timing and a slightly richer fuel mixture. The largest changes were made in the 3500-redline area, which makes for a nice high-RPM feel. Note that the bottom end wasn't changed much, so the known torquey feeling of his software is not affected. These changes are made from a 91 octance version of the chip, which I previously had in my car. That said chip is also in its 4th or 5th update, itself particularly aggressive.

Anyways I'll be running the chip for the next 2 weeks, then it will be released to the public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark