PDA

View Full Version : loud clucking noise

yolusola
10-04-2004, 03:18 PM
hey guys, i wondering if you guys could tell me what is this loud clucking and griding noise coming from underneath my 1989 e34, it occurs on take off and when i am slowing down, pls help, thanks.

Dan in NZ
10-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Loud clucking? Perhaps a chicken in the boot? :p

Sorry I couldn't resist...

632 Regal
10-04-2004, 04:25 PM
any more info on that noise? more details man.

Mobius
10-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Very likely to be your driveshaft flex coupling, or 'guibo'.

The clicking is it hitting the gear selector shaft. If your shifter is jerking with the clicks, you've found the problem.

If this is the problem, get it taken care of soon - it's about to fail completely and make driving very... 'interesting'...

Could also be a bad u-joint in your driveshaft - but typically that's associated with some very pronounced vibrations, usually in the low-end of second gear.

yolusola
10-05-2004, 12:28 PM
hey guys thanks, i was driving the car to the shop, when the vibration became serious and i was going up an incline and the car just stopped moving, i think the shaft is broken, if so anyone know where i can get one preferable a good used one thanks and how much you think it will cost me.

Mobius
10-05-2004, 12:54 PM
http://www.car-part.com for used... There's a couple places to find them new - prices are usually around $500. :(

How have you come to the conclusion that the 'shaft is broken' though? Seriously. It's probably your guibo.

yolusola
10-05-2004, 01:40 PM
i really dont know, cuz i asked a friend and he said that its broken, and when i put the car in drive it wont move, i know the center bearing is gone, but can the guibo be the cause of it not moving?

Mobius
10-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Not moving? It's pretty difficult to imagine a driveshaft or the guibo causing the car to not move - at worst you should just get some impressive shaking and (in the case of the guibo) a noise like someone is taking a hammer to the underside of your car.

You need to get under your car and inspect some things.

JonE
10-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Is this car an automatic. If so, you might have a problem with the transmission.

632 Regal
10-05-2004, 02:35 PM
hopefully its just a guibo. get it in the air and have a peek, a kurb or ramps may not be enough to see what all is gone.