PDA

View Full Version : Slight off Topic....opinions 94 500SL

callen
10-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Wife's loves these cars and have found a 94 500SL with 63K miles....anyone have exerience with Benz's....and particularly SL's

Thanks
Callen

Rory
10-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Wife's loves these cars and have found a 94 500SL with 63K miles....anyone have exerience with Benz's....and particularly SL's

Thanks
Callen
Hi Callen,

Beautiful car, very solid, strong engine, fun to drive, plenty of cool electro gadgets (retractable roll bar is my favorite), retain their value quite well for a depreciating asset, and a quality high end Benz. The bad part is they are expensive to maintain (but so are bimmers), tranny's have a high failure rate, and only seats two with minimal storage room. But, it is an incredibly solid and well engineered car and I would be comfortable putting any one of my loved ones in. My dad almost bought my mom a '98ish SL a few months ago and I couldn't believe how low the price has gotten. If you are trying to save a few bucks and don't mind a little less power the SL320 is another option. Good luck, I think just about anyone would appreciate a fine auto like the SL.

Best,
Rory

Jr ///M5
10-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Listen to Rory, get your wallet out....and leave it out. Honestly, you should check the MB board, www.mercedesshop.com. It's a great board for Mercedes owners and should be able to supply you a wealth of information regarding the SL.

By the way, my wife's uncle called me the other day because his '85 380 SL wouldn't start. I told him not to try turning it over anymore until I got there. Sure enough, upon removal of the valve cover, the timing chain guide had come apart and wedged itself between the cam gear and the chain.....$3800 later, it's running like new again. Non-interference engines are funny that way. Oh well, he only bent the valves on the left bank.

Do your research, make your choice.

Jr

Tiger
10-04-2004, 07:46 PM
SL320 is better buy... solid engine and better fuel mileage.

callen
10-05-2004, 08:18 AM
As with my BMW's I do all my own work...so hopefully still manageable.

callen
10-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Wonder what performance variance will be between the 500 and 320? Will check out benz board.

Thanks all

Callen

Tiger
10-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Not that much of performance difference... Unless you really want the 300HP V8... the SL320 is still pretty quick.

callen
10-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Its for the wife...but yea think I really want the 300 hp...LOL