PDA

View Full Version : Lowering 90 535 5 speed

Ted K
10-04-2004, 09:30 AM
I am looking into lowering my 535. What suggestions and tips do you have for this project? The car is a daily driver. It may see some occasional track time at the novice school. Any one have nay pictures?

Jason
10-04-2004, 10:27 AM
from what the people on the board say, the sachs kit is best if you want the smooth ride w/ better handling. i have H&R springs and bisltein sports. its is signicicantly stiffer than stock. very comfortable on good roads, less so on the rough stuff. i use mine as a daily driver and sometimes its gets flogged. its also on 17" wheels, the stock 15" will be more comfortable. if the roads where you live are pretty crappy its something to take into account. you just need to figure out where you stand on the ride vs. handling trade off.

632 Regal
10-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Eibach or H & R springs are good for what your looking for. If you go with the Bilstein sport shocks it will be a bit firmer than stock. Sachs kit is pretty expensive compared to the other options here. If money is no object I would also recomment the Sachs kit.

califblue
10-04-2004, 11:37 AM
I had the same dilemma as you. I did not want to compromise the ride but I wanted it to handle so I did the Sachs kit( from BMA) M-tech Sways( from Pacific BMW) and new lemforder control arms w/ 750i bushings and new dog bones....took me about 4 1/2 hours.

http://www.labusas.org/photopost/data/500/41E34-med.jpg?3220

Crewblunts
10-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Ted K,
I have eibachs with bilstein sport shocks on 18" rims. I am happy with the results. however when drivnig over poor roads my rear feels the extra pressure

HTH,

Phil V

632 Regal
10-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Ted K,
I have eibachs with bilstein sport shocks on 18" rims. I am happy with the results. however when drivnig over poor roads my rear feels the extra pressure

HTH,

Phil V

mikedev10
10-04-2004, 10:04 PM
i got bilstein sports with h&r springs. racing dynamics sways on the way too. car looks hot. have driven it 5 miles since i bought it, brother has driven 2000 though. seems to be enjoying it :p !

Ted K
10-05-2004, 12:30 AM
i got bilstein sports with h&r springs. racing dynamics sways on the way too. car looks hot. have driven it 5 miles since i bought it, brother has driven 2000 though. seems to be enjoying it :p !
Did you get the shocks and springs from Turner? Do you have any pictures?

Ted K
10-05-2004, 12:39 AM
from what the people on the board say, the sachs kit is best if you want the smooth ride w/ better handling. i have H&R springs and bisltein sports. its is signicicantly stiffer than stock. very comfortable on good roads, less so on the rough stuff. i use mine as a daily driver and sometimes its gets flogged. its also on 17" wheels, the stock 15" will be more comfortable. if the roads where you live are pretty crappy its something to take into account. you just need to figure out where you stand on the ride vs. handling trade off.
I am running on 225-50-16. I do drive 100 miles a day. I want both. On a scale of 1-10, one being stock and 10 being Harsh, how would you rate your ride. I had this set up on my E30 and I liked it.

Ted K
10-05-2004, 01:18 AM
The tires I am running right now are 225/50-16 Bridgestone Potenza RE940 on the front and rear.

The stock ride I get seems very soft. On a 1-10 scale one soft stock ride 10 harsh where would your ride be?

How much drop did you get out of this?

Ted K
10-05-2004, 01:22 AM
How much did you end up lowering the car? Sure looks good. Who is BMA?

Ted K
10-05-2004, 01:23 AM
So would you do this set up again?

Jason
10-05-2004, 02:55 PM
and in the city sometimes i wish for a more compliant ride (i also have urethane bushings and RD sways so that might account for some added stiffness), but once im outside the city, i love it. if you only drive on smooth roads i would say go for it. It feels firmly planted on the highway and body roll is nicely controlled. The car feels very composed. At autocrosses, there is no denying the heft but i think it feels pretty good for a bigger car. I had the eibachs/bilstein/st sways on my e30 and i loved that set-up. I wanted the E34 to feel tossable like the E30 but have since given up on that idea cause its just too heavy.

Jason
10-05-2004, 02:59 PM
familiar with them for parts for your car. great prices and service most of the time. im not affiliated, just a happy customer.

Jose
10-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Being a daily driven car, I would suggest lowering the car no further then 40 mm. As to which make, I'd suggest Koni/Bilstein with H&R springs ( same factory as Eibach only a bit stiffer ) for frequent track use and Racing Dynamics for more daily use( schocks made by Bilstein, springs by Eibach, just much softer and smoother than the before mentioned ) If money is no object, try Koni, Bilstein or KW coilover kits. This will solve all your doubts as they are adjustable in height and stifness.

Ted K
10-05-2004, 09:30 PM
familiar with them for parts for your car. great prices and service most of the time. im not affiliated, just a happy customer.
Is BMA the same as Bavarian Autosport?

talltorontoguy
10-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Is BMA the same as Bavarian Autosport?

BMA is not affiliated with Bavarian. www.bmaparts.com is their website. You'll find it easier to just call them and ask them for prices than it is to navigate their site. Number is on the webpage.

Rod

mikedev10
10-05-2004, 11:43 PM
yes, got the turner kit. with rd sways and shipping i think it was all said and done for around 1050. sorry, no pics of it yet! looks hot though.

Jeff N.
10-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Hi Ted. See you're here from the pugetsound board. Lot's of good suggestions here as well. Any chance you're going to be at Bremerton next weekend for the novice school?

Ted K
10-06-2004, 09:18 AM
Jeff , I may drive up to just talk a look. I am not registered to attend. Was that on saturday or Sunday?

Did you install your Diana stage 1 your self or does the dealer have to do it?

Jeff N.
10-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Both Martin and I will be there. If you want to see the cars, best to arrive at lunch time or around 3:30 pm. You may be able to get an instructor ride as well - I think we'll be doing that around starting around 3:30 or 4pm.

I put the kit in myself. It's not too hard but you need some reasonable tools and some experience working with struts. If you've never done it, I'm sure Martin and I could give you a hand. Between us, we've pretty much had everything apart there is to take apart on these cars.

Jeff

Jeff , I may drive up to just talk a look. I am not registered to attend. Was that on saturday or Sunday?

Did you install your Diana stage 1 your self or does the dealer have to do it?