PDA

View Full Version : Help please!! Replacing transmission mounts

KurtM
10-03-2004, 10:11 AM
and can't jack tranny high enough to remove front mounts. The car is on stands and when I jack up the transmission too much it lifts the car off the stands. Do I need to loose motor mounts? I am also repalcing center bearing and flex disk so the drive shaft is out. The rear mounts are already loose.

Any help is appriciated.

Thank you
Kurt
95 525ia

Derek A.
10-03-2004, 12:29 PM
front mounts ?? I thought the trans was bolted to the engine and the only mounts were on the rear of the trans !

KurtM
10-03-2004, 01:16 PM
There are two mounts in front right behind the sway bar. I figured how to replace.

RobPatt
10-03-2004, 03:09 PM
I jacked up the engine (wood on jack at oil pan) enough to swap motor mounts... while the engine was up, I was able to easily remove the front tranny mounts... perhaps try lifting from the engine? Rx'd the wrong parts though so I'll be doing it again next weekend....93' 525ia @128K. What prompts you to replace them? I'm just doing my engine/tranny mounts because...I can? Cheers, Rob.

and can't jack tranny high enough to remove front mounts. The car is on stands and when I jack up the transmission too much it lifts the car off the stands. Do I need to loose motor mounts? I am also repalcing center bearing and flex disk so the drive shaft is out. The rear mounts are already loose.

Any help is appriciated.

Thank you
Kurt
95 525ia

RobPatt
10-03-2004, 03:10 PM
...changing mounts won't hurt; but I'm not convinced it will cure the vibration, will wait and see. good luck.

I jacked up the engine (wood on jack at oil pan) enough to swap motor mounts... while the engine was up, I was able to easily remove the front tranny mounts... perhaps try lifting from the engine? Rx'd the wrong parts though so I'll be doing it again next weekend....93' 525ia @128K. What prompts you to replace them? I'm just doing my engine/tranny mounts because...I can? Cheers, Rob.