PDA

View Full Version : Low Beam headlight problem

jplacson
10-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Ok, this just happened the other night... I was driving home, then my low beams went dead. High beams wouldn't work using the "ON" position, but would work on FLASH mode.

Foglamps worked, so I used those to drive home... thing is, everything else works...park lights, turn signals, tail lights, rear fogs, hazard...etc.

Fuse #2 (Headlight fuse) was blown... so I replaced it... the minute I switched on the lights (not even headlights, just park lights) the fuse blew again!

This is odd cuz nothing was touched... my lights were working fine, then just went dead... now, the fuse blows without even the lights coming on.

I know this means there's a short somewhere.. but how did it happen? And where do I look for it?? Any ideas? Thanks!

Jon K
10-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Ok, this just happened the other night... I was driving home, then my low beams went dead. High beams wouldn't work using the "ON" position, but would work on FLASH mode.

Foglamps worked, so I used those to drive home... thing is, everything else works...park lights, turn signals, tail lights, rear fogs, hazard...etc.

Fuse #2 (Headlight fuse) was blown... so I replaced it... the minute I switched on the lights (not even headlights, just park lights) the fuse blew again!

This is odd cuz nothing was touched... my lights were working fine, then just went dead... now, the fuse blows without even the lights coming on.

I know this means there's a short somewhere.. but how did it happen? And where do I look for it?? Any ideas? Thanks!

Whenever someone has an issue with their headlights working or not working, the first place to start is the LKM.... give it a check.

632 Regal
10-03-2004, 07:22 PM
yep, LKM sounds suspect, trace the wiring from the lights for wearing insulation and shorts first.

632 Regal
10-03-2004, 07:23 PM
yep, LKM sounds suspect, trace the wiring from the lights for wearing insulation and shorts first to try to isolate.

jplacson
10-03-2004, 08:42 PM
So if the LKM is the problem... it can cause a short that will blow the fuse as well?

632 Regal
10-03-2004, 10:03 PM
So if the LKM is the problem... it can cause a short that will blow the fuse as well?

gvilkelis
10-04-2004, 06:08 AM
Hi,

I don't think that LKM would cause such problems.
Of course, you could easily swap LKM with LKM from other car and see if the problem persists.

But I think you should check the wiring for shorts.