PDA

View Full Version : Oil in spark plug area?

infinity5
10-01-2004, 12:55 PM
I just got my '94 530 (112kmiles) a few weeks ago and decided i'd check out the condition of the spark plugs. i took the ignition coil covers off each side of the engine and was supprised to find the cavity in which they were bolted about an inch deep in nasty dark dirty oil. I was afraid to go anyfarther, not knowing if removing the coils/plugs would flood the cylinders with the oil. I honestly don't know if i'ts suppose to be like that of if i have a serious leak somewhere. whats up? i got the bently manual but it doesn't say too much about the ignition system. not even pictures for removing the plugs. I also have a small oil leak i noticed on my drive way. its about 2 moderate sized drips a day, and with the age of the car i'm just ignoring it. I can't really find out where its comming from exactly, the egine undercarriage is pretty dirty.

and, just for fun, another question.. i'm getting terrible vibration at 50-60 (55)MPH.. do i just need to balance my tires or is it somehting with bushings or some other suspension problem?

thank you :) :)

DanQ
10-01-2004, 04:33 PM
The spark plug holes are probably getting oil from a leaking valve cover gasket. My guess is that enough oil in there will short the plug and potentially fry the coil that connects to it. I had a bit of oil in one of my plug holes. Used a paper towel and some long needle nose pliers to soak it up.

Rory
10-01-2004, 04:35 PM
I just got my '94 530 (112kmiles) a few weeks ago and decided i'd check out the condition of the spark plugs. i took the ignition coil covers off each side of the engine and was supprised to find the cavity in which they were bolted about an inch deep in nasty dark dirty oil. I was afraid to go anyfarther, not knowing if removing the coils/plugs would flood the cylinders with the oil. I honestly don't know if i'ts suppose to be like that of if i have a serious leak somewhere. whats up? i got the bently manual but it doesn't say too much about the ignition system. not even pictures for removing the plugs. I also have a small oil leak i noticed on my drive way. its about 2 moderate sized drips a day, and with the age of the car i'm just ignoring it. I can't really find out where its comming from exactly, the egine undercarriage is pretty dirty.

and, just for fun, another question.. i'm getting terrible vibration at 50-60 (55)MPH.. do i just need to balance my tires or is it somehting with bushings or some other suspension problem?

thank you :) :)
Hello,

Congrats on the car and enjoy. I recommend that you check out www.bmwe34.net (http://www.bmwe34.net) for a faq on most of your problems. The oil on the plugs is most likely your Valve Cover Gasket. Pretty easy job, not as easy on the V8 but can still be done by the average DIY'er. I would do it soon as the ramifications of letting it go too long can be $$$$. As far as the vibration it is either (or a combination of) warped rotors, control arm bushings (just replace the entire arm too), and out of balanced or bent wheels. The link will give you all the wonderful reading on these things that you can stand. If you need specifics there are plenty of good folks around willing to share their knowledge and experience. Good luck to you.

Best,
Rory