PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT...

l8apex
10-01-2004, 10:29 AM
My baby is a 1994 540iA, soon to have a six-speed conversion. (thus this forum)
My daily driver is a 1996 328iS. The 3er has had a problem with the driver-side door window for a few months. Upon closing the door, the window will oscillate up and down about 5 or 6 mm repeatedly for 30 seconds to several minutes. This has been intermittant, but is happening more frequently lately. Initially for some reason this would only occur after closing the door upon EXITING the car, but for the past few days has occurred upon closing the door after entering it also. I bought the car about 15 months ago and had it inspected. The mechanism on the driver side door that automatically opens the window a crack and then closes it automatically upon closing the door wasn't working, and was repaired/replaced. I have checked around, and have had several fixes suggested. Is there a method to "reboot" or reset the mechanism? Does the opener switch or window motor/electronics need to be replaced?
TIA for your help.

Dave Brennan, past president, co-founder, Iowa Chapter BMW CCA
1994 540iA 180,000 miles on original Nikasil, lots of mods, original owner
1996 328iS 100,000 miles, daily driver, lots of mods
1998 318ti 100,000 miles, kids kollege kar, mods, original owner

winfred
10-01-2004, 12:47 PM
generally problems like that can be traced to door switch or microswitch that tells the computer that the window is all of the way up, missing out of adjustment or dead