PDA

View Full Version : White cloud and rough idle at startup.

NielsGalan
10-01-2004, 06:57 AM
Hi guys.

When the car is cold and I start it, I get A LOT of white smoke coming from the exhaust. This is combined with very rough and uneasy idling. When I rev the engine a bit, it settles and then runs fine. What the fudge can be wrong?? I have a diesel, FYI.

I also have some white fumes when the engine is warm, and somebody asked me if I was burning engine oil, and somebody else asked if I had coolant leaking into the engine.

Hmmmmmm. Any ideas?

grave77
10-02-2004, 04:31 PM
check your pistons oil rings they are warn out. so they evaporate the oil in the manfold which drips in the valves in the night and burns at once in the morning. so you have to change the rings or simply overhole job is what you need.

NielsGalan
10-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Ok, thanks.

I will look into it. Does anybody disagree with this explanation? (no offence, hehe)

632 Regal
10-03-2004, 05:29 PM
what is the weather like where you are runing this engine?

bahnstormer
10-03-2004, 05:59 PM
all diesels run rough when cold....is this your first diesel? did the problem just start? a little more info couldn't hurt =]

NielsGalan
10-04-2004, 02:43 PM
The problem is relatively new. Yes, this is my first diesel (or first car, for that matter). The weather here in Northern Europe is pretty cold, ca. 10 degrees Celcius, but not that cold. I drove it to Southern Europe this summer, where it got very hot! In fact, this is where I started noticing the problem.

When the car is up and running, it runs like a charm, no issues here. It is only in the first 1/2 minute or so that it sounds like it is really struggling to keep going. Once in a while during this 1/2 minute it also chokes. But apart from this it runs smooth as butter.

The engine has 325.000 km on it. It is a lot, I know, but apprx. 80.000 km's ago the engine was taken apart and got the royal treatment!