PDA

View Full Version : OT: How do cops know who is speeding?

rockyfeller
10-01-2004, 12:04 AM
On a typical 3 lane highway with swift dense traffic, how does a cop keep track of clocking each car in each lane? As cars pass by so fast I'm sure he gets rapid readings. Does he visually just guess which car is going the faster speed? It just dosen't seem accurate. Good reason to turbocharge that unsuspecting TRD Camry. The E34 going slower next to it would surely get the ticket.

bigblue
10-01-2004, 08:29 AM
On a typical 3 lane highway with swift dense traffic, how does a cop keep track of clocking each car in each lane? As cars pass by so fast I'm sure he gets rapid readings. Does he visually just guess which car is going the faster speed? It just dosen't seem accurate. Good reason to turbocharge that unsuspecting TRD Camry. The E34 going slower next to it would surely get the ticket.

From my experience they'll tend to prefer solo cars which is why i try to drive in the middle of packs, but they definately profile vehicles. Once I passed a hidden trap in my old rusty Saab with a radar detector. No beep so he was using the "instant on" feature. In the rearview I saw a mustang go past him and all of a sudden he fired his radar.

rockyfeller
10-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Sometimes it's not a sports car they profile...Just a car that seems fast, flashy or in our case a luxury vehice, they see a Bimmer, they think we can afford the ticket...NOT FAIR! At rush hour the lay speed traps and it's soooo irritating in dense swift traffic when everyone panic brakes because they see the cop. I wonder how they can pick who is going fastest....It makes no sense.