PDA

View Full Version : odd radio question

chamilun
09-30-2004, 03:27 PM
1994 530ia

i thought this was my imagination, but when accelerating from at a stop, my radio reception becomes poorer (especially on the slightly weaker signals), and if listening to a cd, the changer kind of mutes (sounds like skip), as if im getting interference from the car itself.

anyone had something like this before??

thanks

Reidal
09-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Doppler affect caused by you driving away from the radio signal or CD sound :D

Sorry. My Mother has told me time and time again that smart-ass isn't cute.

Common factor for both problems may be power supply to the rear for the radio antenna booster and the changer.

I don't have a Bentley handy, but I'd suggest they both run off the same supply and this could be compromised by a bad connection in either a fuse box or wiring loom.

I'll check the diagrams later tonight and see what I can work out.

Dan in NZ
10-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Alternator Whine. If it's engine speed related, then it's most definately interference from the alternator. You better not have an aftermarket radio in there do you...

chamilun
10-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Alternator Whine. If it's engine speed related, then it's most definately interference from the alternator. You better not have an aftermarket radio in there do you...

"you better not" - what in the world are you talking about?

OEM radio, wouldnt have it any way else.

not engine speed related. occurs very frequently at certain rpm/gear.

Reidal, thanks for the advice. sounds like you might be on to something. i didnt realize the antenna was powered in any way. thanks

632 Regal
10-01-2004, 11:12 AM
check all the connections and the ground. The antenna is a low power so the connection for that may be compromised, use some stabilent 22 on the connection.

Dan in NZ
10-01-2004, 05:46 PM
""you better not" - what in the world are you talking about?"

Thought an aftermarket radio could have been installed with a power supply that was affected by the alternator..... maybe not. The TIS states that the ground on the antenna booster can sometimes go bad. Remove the C-pillar trim on one side (left I think), then make sure there is good contact between the screw in the base of the antenna amplifier and the sheetmetal. That wouldn't explain the cd changer behaviour though.

chamilun
10-01-2004, 06:57 PM
thanks to everyone for the help. will get to it tomorrow.