PDA

View Full Version : White smoke from exhaust at idle

BigKriss
09-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Very recently I noticed that "puffy" white smoke is coming from the exhaust when the car is warm and idling. Puffy meaning that it is constant, doesn't really have any smell (that I can distinivtively notice). When driving normally no smoke appears, I am ruling out a head gasket replacement as it was done 10,000 kms ago.

The only recent work that I can think of is an oil change with 5w-50 Mobil 1 Synthetic + filter (australian environment). Any ideas guys?

Kind Regards

Kristian

billb
09-30-2004, 11:34 AM
you mention Australia...I'm guessing you're just starting Spring there. Perfect time of the year for cool, damp mornings to allow condensation in your exhaust, then it takes a while to burn off in the morning. Sometimes takes 20 minutes here in the Southeast USA on mornings like that. I have noticed that it's not as apparent now that my wife and I moved and we now keep her 525 inside a garage at night.

As long as your coolant level isn't decreasing, you should be in the clear.

BigKriss
09-30-2004, 11:56 AM
thanks billb, I'll keep a check on the coolant.

Paul in NZ
09-30-2004, 06:32 PM
is the exhaust system itself has more mass than most and takes a long time to heat up/clear past condensate......the fact that there is no odour is good!ie not oil not coolant.....

bahnstormer
09-30-2004, 09:48 PM
take a tissue and hold it over the exhaust...if it gets wet and soggy, then its just moisture...