PDA

View Full Version : Alpine In dash Monitor will it fit an E34?

ben wilamowski
09-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of fitting an Alpine in Dash monitor in an E34 right hand drive car?

It is a standard DIN size unit but when you turn the ignition on it has a fold out screen that comes out and sits at ninety degrees to the dash.

My only concern is that it will foul on the console where the foglight switches are mounted?

All the best

Ben.

Jon K
09-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of fitting an Alpine in Dash monitor in an E34 right hand drive car?

It is a standard DIN size unit but when you turn the ignition on it has a fold out screen that comes out and sits at ninety degrees to the dash.

My only concern is that it will foul on the console where the foglight switches are mounted?

All the best

Ben.

yes it fits

http://e34.digital7.com/E34%20Pictures/1.jpg

ben wilamowski
10-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Thanks Jon,

That looks awesome!

Do you need to tilt the screen at all to prevent it hitting the the dash / foglight switch or does it just come straight out and sit at 90 degrees without a problem?

What's going through my head is will it try and motor into the dash until I hit the tilt button to make it come forward or can you set it to come out at any angle by default?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to know the deal before I spend the cash!

Cheers

Ben.

Jon K
10-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks Jon,

That looks awesome!

Do you need to tilt the screen at all to prevent it hitting the the dash / foglight switch or does it just come straight out and sit at 90 degrees without a problem?

What's going through my head is will it try and motor into the dash until I hit the tilt button to make it come forward or can you set it to come out at any angle by default?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to know the deal before I spend the cash!

Cheers

Ben.

The alpine units will fit perfectly fine tilted back past 90 degrees... meaning pointing up kind of at you. You can use the full range of tilt without hitting the foglight switch IF you do what i said and use the SLIDE feature. The slide feature is a feature that is for cars like ours where it needs a little clearance. So hold the OPEN/CLOSE button, the unit will slide forward by about 3/4" or so and then it has full range of tilt. here is a picture at a side angle so you can see...

http://e34.digital7.com/E34%20Pictures/interior1a.jpg

JD525IA
10-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Both of the posted picts. look great. What is the alpine model number for this unit? How much is it? Is it also a stereo receiver that can also play CD's?

I've wanted one of these ever since the first pict. was posted on this site.

Need the info., the 411, the scoop! Lay it on me.

JD

ben wilamowski
10-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Dear Jon,

Thank a lot for that mate,

Will go for it now!

Ben.

Jon K
10-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Both of the posted picts. look great. What is the alpine model number for this unit? How much is it? Is it also a stereo receiver that can also play CD's?

I've wanted one of these ever since the first pict. was posted on this site.

Need the info., the 411, the scoop! Lay it on me.

JD
Alpine CVA-1004 Multimedia Unit. ($1000 retail)
No CD player, requires CD changer. LCDII technology, blah blah. One pre out expandable to 3 with KVE-104 exansion module ($500 retail).

Tiger
10-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Wow... what's that second screen? You better anchor that head unit in to prevent thief from yanking it out easily.

Jon K
10-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Wow... what's that second screen? You better anchor that head unit in to prevent thief from yanking it out easily.

Second screen is 7" touch screen LCD running from my CarPC, navigation, MP3, Video, Internet... etc.

The lower screen retracts.

Crewblunts
10-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Jon K,
I am in the process of getting parts to install a CarPC in my car and was wondering which touch screen you went with. Also how has glare been with the screen mounted there? Because that is the same spot I was going to mount mine, but I am worried about glare and not being able to see the screen.

TIA,

Phil V

SharkmanBMW
10-02-2004, 04:44 PM
I have to ask... who is watching this thing?
you while you drive?
you while you are parked?
passengers?
I just like to keep my eyes on the road and am really curious when you find use for it?
I am not busting balls, I just don't get it!