PDA

View Full Version : Alas, TRANS PROGRAM

all2kool
09-29-2004, 06:35 PM
When my 525i displays the TRANS PROGRAM error - I have 2nd and 3rd gears (and reverse). Am I to assume that the transmission is a dog or just querky? Seems this is a common issue that nobody has a clear solution too.

Robin-535im
09-29-2004, 07:12 PM
When my 525i displays the TRANS PROGRAM error - I have 2nd and 3rd gears (and reverse). Am I to assume that the transmission is a dog or just querky? Seems this is a common issue that nobody has a clear solution too.

It might be just what you need.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp

Scott C
09-30-2004, 10:10 PM
It might be just what you need.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp

Let me know how you made out! I ended up disconnecting the Tranny computer signal to the CCM and grounding the INPUT to the CCM.
Scott

liquidtiger720
10-01-2004, 12:02 AM
oh god. this just happend to me today. i was about to post for some info. does anybody know where i should start? the bmwe34.net site give a bunch of info, but nowhere to start?...should i just jump in and go at it? hehe.

Scott C
10-01-2004, 03:46 PM
oh god. this just happend to me today. i was about to post for some info. does anybody know where i should start? the bmwe34.net site give a bunch of info, but nowhere to start?...should i just jump in and go at it? hehe.

Sorry to hear that....

If your transmission is working fine, you may want to consider the mod to disable reporting....

If you search my posts (by username) u will see all the things I went through and to no avail.

I will warn that it is not a cure all and it results in a few quirks - the E D repeater on the instrument cluster stops working after 30 secs and the interlock that prevents removal of the key if not in park (I think it used to work before the mod - may be in error).

However, my transmission is solid and I figure I could live with the above for the life of the car (I hope another 8 years :) and let it tell me if it is in Limp mode by the transmission behaviour)

Scott

SharkmanBMW
10-01-2004, 06:13 PM
trans program has been the result of playing with the electrical "plugs" under the hood aNd not getting them plugged properly again (wiper plugs...must be a sensor thing)
I had that happen one day after playing with the wiper plugs, but I had read someone else with the same info, so after the TRANS prog popped up, I just checked the plugs I had touched and it worked!

Also once because i shifted to N at about 60k , stop and restart and it was fine.

check the plugs and sensor like stuff under the hood!

Scott C
10-01-2004, 10:10 PM
trans program has been the result of playing with the electrical "plugs" under the hood aNd not getting them plugged properly again (wiper plugs...must be a sensor thing)
I had that happen one day after playing with the wiper plugs, but I had read someone else with the same info, so after the TRANS prog popped up, I just checked the plugs I had touched and it worked!

Also once because i shifted to N at about 60k , stop and restart and it was fine.

check the plugs and sensor like stuff under the hood!

If you could snap a picture of the plugs you fiddled with that would be great :)
Scott

SharkmanBMW
10-02-2004, 04:39 PM
look around... you will see them - any wiring harness that you can unplug is a possible target, did you recently touch any?

Scott C
10-02-2004, 06:07 PM
look around... you will see them - any wiring harness that you can unplug is a possible target, did you recently touch any?

Sadly no,
Scott

SharkmanBMW
10-02-2004, 06:36 PM
that was the problem for me in a 540.... we have totally different trannys anyway.

It may be worth unplugging them all and spraying some contact cleaner in each one... can't hurt!

liquidtiger720
10-07-2004, 12:21 PM
what tranmission is in the 525ia's?

i brought it to my mechanic yesterday and he said i needed to rebuild it :(

well, as of now, my shift points are all over the board (rpm wise) and my 3-4 gear change slips like no other. this is really giving me a big headache.

oh yea. what does it mean if the fluid in the transmission pan was brownish-almost blackish- with a hint or red. that cant be good. My mechanic just let some dribble out of a bolt on the side of the pan.