PDA

View Full Version : Lowering and Alingnment/camber.

smcgowan
09-29-2004, 09:18 AM
I’m putting new Bavarian spring and Boge turbo gas shocks on next Monday. The drop should be about 1.5” front and 1” rear or so. Will I have to get the car realigned, cambered?

Scott
93 525IA Turner Sharked 159K

At the same time putting a set of M-tech M5 sways front and rear... Oh the handing Joy :p

califblue
09-29-2004, 10:30 AM
I did the same thing last year on my 92' 5351 5/Spd (Sachs Kit & M-techs) ...never bothered to re-align. Just rotate my tires every 5K/my.02

Mr Project
09-29-2004, 11:43 AM
I believe toe is the only adjustment on an E34. New shocks/struts should not effect the toe adjustment, and camber can only be adjusted by offset bushings/mounts.

smcgowan
09-29-2004, 12:50 PM
So what your saying is that I'm ok with not doing anything.. I did have too adjust the toe end when I replaced the upper thrust bushing with offset polys.

632 Regal
09-29-2004, 02:28 PM
So what your saying is that I'm ok with not doing anything.. I did have too adjust the toe end when I replaced the upper thrust bushing with offset polys.

Mobius
09-29-2004, 03:21 PM
The front toe doesn't change TOO much when lowered. But, to me, it's worth a $50 alignment at Les Schwab or wherever.

Like has been said, nothing can be done about the rear unless you replace the trailing arm bushings, have an M5, or buy an adjustable subframe from Dinan. You'll find though, that camber manages to stay within spec when lowered - rear toe gets shot to hell though.

GJPinAU
09-29-2004, 06:32 PM
I had mine lowered last year. After this was done I had a bad clunk noise in the front and everyone had said to get the struts tightened. Took it to the shop had Kmac camber adjustment kits installed in the front and rear. The front was a straight forward job but the guy in the shop wasn't impressed with the time it took to install the rears. The one thing I have noticed since having the camber kits installed, is the handling has improved a hell of a lot.

cheers, Greg

Mobius
09-30-2004, 04:58 AM
^^Can someone explain how camber plates in the rear of an E34 manage to actually influence camber at all?

I mean, I can understand if the rear suspension was a multi-link set up, but it's a swingarm that's only allowed movement on two bushings with one axis. Without changing the axis the swingarm rotates on (with eccentrics) I can't see how you can influence camber in the rear at all.

Am I missing something?

mholbrook
09-30-2004, 10:27 AM
For what its worth, I cut off $200 worth of tires in 2000 miles because I did not get an alignment after changing my suspension out. And, after you do get the alignment, keep a close eye on the tires and rotate often. (Unless you are staggered like me.) My alignment shop charges $35.00 for front alignment. Pretty cheap insurance.

Just my .02 worth