PDA

View Full Version : TRansmission Program Error "Help Needed"!!!!!!!!!!

wasapppp
09-28-2004, 09:53 PM
On occasion this error will light up on the dash board. Usually turning the car off and then waiting about 2-3 minutes resolves it till the next time. I have noticed that it usually occurs during city driving on hot days otherwise its ok. The car is a 1992 BMW 525i 130K miles.

I would like to get any feedback on how to resolve this without spending large bucks at the service department of the BMW dealership. What items should I check/replace before I take the car in for service as a last resort?

Have already been to BMW Service an had the trannie serviced..... still have Trans Prog error.

Noticed that now it hardly takes any time to start .... barely a few miles then ...bing "Trans Prog".

I have seen many posts refering to the following items and even purchased a Bentley Service Manual but they do not even mention the part or location of some of the parts mentioned.

a) Transmission Control Unit (mentioned in the manual) where is the location of this part?
b) Transmission speed sensor (not mentioned in the manual) where is the location?
c) Is there a Transmission fuse (can't find any reference to it in the Bentley manual) as this user states (he has a 535ia not 92 525i)?

"Anyway I moved the gear lever through all the positions pausing for a couple of seconds between each notch, turned ignition off removed transmission fuse from fuse box in the engine compartment and waited for 10 mins in the hope that the computer would reset itself. So after replacing the fuse and starting her up it was like it never happened.Went for a test and all was as good as new and that was 8 months ago."

d) Is there a Transmission chip in the DME? Where is it located? part #?