PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Sensor Procedure

dave b
09-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Does anyone have a photo of this for a 93 525i or similar? I'm going to tackle it this weekend, but I hate going into repair jobs blind. The Bentley is not that good on this one.

Thanks,
Dave
93 525i

bimmerd00d
09-27-2004, 07:28 PM
I am doing it this weekend as well. I haven't done it before, but I have seen it while the car is on a lift, and it's rather easy. The connector is on the driver's side of the transmission, runs above the driveshaft over to the pipe.

dave b
09-27-2004, 07:43 PM
I guess I'll jack it up and take a look. But a photo always helps....

dave

Eric Fraser
09-27-2004, 10:19 PM
I tried to do this job last weekend. After jacking up the car up and taking a good long look, I decided to postpone. It just ain't as easy as Bentley makes it out, at least for the M50 motors. I understand there's a special socket that can help. But even then, I can't see getting a socket and ratchet between the pipes and the undercarriage without at least partially dropping the exhaust. This, on a ten-year-old car, will almost certainly involve some broken, rusted bolts, clamps and brackets, something I wasn't prepared for.

Before someone chimes in about how straight-forward this little job is, please note that there is substantial difference in exhaust and O2 sensor placement among the different motors. On the M20, it does look like a no-brainer. Not so on the M50.

For dave b: The drawing on page 180-2 in Bentley is helpful, in case you haven't looked back there.

bmwagn
11-08-2004, 09:53 PM
This little jewel turned what looked like a weekend project into a 5 min job. I used a crows foot O2 socket (Autozone for $8.99) 1/2in drive breaker bar and some WD-40. Sprayed it and went the house to have a cup of coffee 30 mins later crawled back under and broke it free. Remove two 10mm plastic nuts that hold the wire tray up and volia. Off with the old and on with new. I hope this helps someone in the future. By the way the local stealer charges $220 for the labor $110 for parts. Pacific BMW had O2 sensor in stock for $70.

Scott C
11-08-2004, 10:34 PM
I tried to do this job last weekend. After jacking up the car up and taking a good long look, I decided to postpone. It just ain't as easy as Bentley makes it out, at least for the M50 motors....

The right tool from autozone (a socket tool with a slot and special adapter) makes this a "relatively quick" job. The first time I did this it took 2 hours, the second about 45 min. 1995 m50

Scott

dave b
11-09-2004, 12:18 AM
I bought the part at BMA for $75, then drove down the street where I had the local shop do the replacement for $20.

Kept my fingers clean...

Scott C
11-09-2004, 05:10 PM
I bought the part at BMA for $75, then drove down the street where I had the local shop do the replacement for $20.

Kept my fingers clean...

20$ is a good bargain - it is well worth that amount to NOT have to crawl under the car ;)
Scott