PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slave Cylinder

Helm525Im
09-27-2004, 11:34 AM
91 525i Manual, 129K miles
I am getting a high pitched squeak from my clutch slave when depressing the clutch, I think. Bill R suggested I take the slave off and lub the plunger where it meets the "thing" that pushes on the throw bearing; this seems like a good idea! I haven't gotten around to it! I'm technically weak and intimidated by taking this apart! It is a little awkward to get at too.
How long does the clutch usually last, in a "carefully" driven car? I'm wondering if I'm getting to the limit of the clutch and the slave cylinder. Maybe I should just buy a clutch kit and slave from BMA and have the work done by a mechanic.
Any thoughts please!
Helm, Ottawa, ON.

Bruno
09-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Helm,
The clutch last around 200 000km.
I am guessing that if this is the original clutch, there isn't much life left.
The clutch kit cost 299.00 Cdn + tax
The slave cylinder cost: 60.00 Cdn + tax

I would change the complete shifter linkage at the same time (all the wearing parts) and install a Z8 shifter if you plan on keeping the car.
A E28 flywheel might also be a good idea if you are into upgrades.

632 Regal
09-27-2004, 11:42 AM
maybe you should take it in and have a mechanic grease the parts and see if that cures the squeek, might save a lot of money.

Jeff N.
09-27-2004, 12:27 PM
.... I would change the complete shifter linkage at the same time (all the wearing parts) and install a Z8 shifter if you plan on keeping the car.
A E28 flywheel might also be a good idea if you are into upgrades.

Rebuilding the shifter linkage is a wonderful thing and very easy to do while having a clutch job done. Parts are relatively cheap. Reward yourself and do this....

Jeff

Helm525Im
09-27-2004, 02:51 PM
I've got 129K mile or about 208 kms. so it looks like I'll have to put some money away.
Tell me more about the E28 Fly wheel, please.
Helm

Martin in Bellevue
09-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Might as well change the clutch once you have access there. The release bearing usually wears out first on sanely driven cars, not the clutch lining.

maybe you should take it in and have a mechanic grease the parts and see if that cures the squeek, might save a lot of money.

632 Regal
09-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Might as well change the clutch once you have access there. The release bearing usually wears out first on sanely driven cars, not the clutch lining.