PDA

View Full Version : Low oil pressure?

jjg43
09-27-2004, 08:19 AM
What's up everyone...I just recently had the top end of my motor rebuilt. I had the head machined, new valve seals, rocker arms, springs, and a new cam. I also had the water pump replaced. The engine sounds and runs good except on cold starts the engine light stays on too long (around ten seconds) and then the ENGINE OIL PRESSURE display comes on the computer. This only happens on cold starts and I am concerned. I just got the oil changed a week ago with Castrol GTX 10w30. The next time I will change it I will use Mobil 1 10w30. Does anyone have this problem? Do you know why this is happening and how I can stop it? Before I had the head repaired I used 10w30 in the winter and never had this problem? Thanks, Phil

FSures
09-27-2004, 08:37 AM
You need to replace the oil filter canister. There is a check valve that goes bad. The bad valve allows the oil to return to the sump requiring the engine to re-prime the motor after extended stops. The best place to get one is from a salvage yard. Clean the canister and put it on. It's a DIY job. OEM price for this part is quite expensive.

winfred
09-27-2004, 09:11 AM
as a cheep experament i would replace the oil pressure switch before going after the filter canister