PDA

View Full Version : Changed water pump, thermostat, belts, and VC gasket today...

billb
09-26-2004, 07:28 PM
It's been 60k on the water pump since I installed a OE BMW pump after the original failed (catastrophically) at 65k miles. Pulled it today, and the weep hole had been leaking...total time of 3 hours for water pump, thermostat, belts, cleaning up fan clutch, flush coolant, refill, and change of valve cover gasket. Ready for another 60k!

(p.s. Winfred, the new pump is a Geba...we'll see what kind of life I get out of it. It does look like crapola!)

632 Regal
09-26-2004, 07:35 PM
I heard Geba was the one to stay away from?

winfred
09-26-2004, 09:05 PM
i got 37k outta the one on my 325ism seen em go in under 10k, the bearing craps

(p.s. Winfred, the new pump is a Geba...we'll see what kind of life I get out of it. It does look like crapola!)

billb
09-27-2004, 06:50 AM
I heard Geba was the one to stay away from?

Yup, it is, but that's what BMA sent...and I didn't specify "NO GEBA" on my order... :(

But it is quieter than the old pump! Or maybe that's just the new belt I "don't" hear.

uscharalph
07-13-2005, 12:55 PM
I just received a GEBA also from BMA.

billb
05-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I did a water pump and thermostat on 9/26/04, and I noticed some antifreeze spray around the water pump bolts the other night. I'll tear into it this weekend and advise, but looks like the Geba pump might be on its way out. Winfred told me so...

:(

billb
05-21-2006, 11:50 AM
I did a water pump and thermostat on 9/26/04, and I noticed some antifreeze spray around the water pump bolts the other night. I'll tear into it this weekend and advise, but looks like the Geba pump might be on its way out. Winfred told me so...

:(
...15k miles. Geba pump, bought from BMA 9/04. Gonna see if Patrick can help me out any on it. 15k is WAY too short.

Out of commission, AGAIN. :(

Mendozart
05-21-2006, 02:07 PM
I think I might try that new water pump from EMP Stewart components when mine needs replacing. I read a review in Roundel mag and it sure had me convinced. If interested check at www.stewartcomponents.com.

winfred
05-21-2006, 03:34 PM
graf, laso and hepu have been good for me, graf has gone from a cast impeller (just noticed the other day) to a sheat metal impeller like the bmw pump so i am not positive how they will do, but in the past i have had no come backs

billb
05-22-2006, 05:51 PM
My cost, out the door, $80.80. I can almost do water pumps with my eyes closed now. Didn't even drain the radiator. Just lubed up the o-ring, snatched the old pump out and shoved the new one in, losing about 1/2 gallon of coolant. Got the pump torqued down, put on the pulley, put on the belt, torqued the pulley, put on the fan clutch, fan, and shroud, and was bleeding the system 15 minutes after starting.

No more drips. Again.