PDA

View Full Version : Heater system question...

grr
09-25-2004, 05:33 PM
The heat in my car don't work, and I'm waiting for the parts I need to arrive. I've ordered something I have no clue what's called in english. Directly translated we call it the "heat device register", any bells ringing? Oh well, it's the device which gets the heated cooling water from the engine and translates it to warm air. It's located below the heat controls inside the dashboard.

What I'm looking for is instructions/pictures on how to change that device. If you don't know about any howtos I'd appreciate if anyone could give me the name of the device. That would make it a whole lot easier to search for... Search engines doesn't seem to know "the thing with all the tubes and the other stuff and which warm air comes out of". ;)

ryan roopnarine
09-25-2004, 07:40 PM
um heater core?????

here:

http://www.homeofsbc.com/Fixes/Heater/heater.htm

grr
09-26-2004, 03:52 AM
Ah, thanks.

Anyone got any pics of the tubes in the engine compartment?

Paul in NZ
09-26-2004, 05:06 AM
you need this (http://www.bmwe34.net/)

Mr. BILL
09-26-2004, 08:05 AM
If you're dong the heater core, (looks like a small radiator), you don't need to disconnect the hoses at the firewall. Just drain the system, block included. That'll get 99% of it. Have a small cup to catch what's left when you disconnect the tubes from the heater core.

To answer your question though, the "tubes" are the three hoses that are clustered together on the driver's side of the firewall.

If you are going to do this, I'd suggest getting a Bentley manual. However, the instructions in the link ryan provided are good also. I just did mine. The one tricky part is the tube that fits into the top left of the heater core is held in by ONE screw instead of two. You have to remove the one (lower right) in the mounting flange and then turn the mounting flange counter clockwise to release it. It was fairly easy taking it off, but a bit more difficult getting it back in.

MAke sure you bleed the system properly. Good luck.

grr
09-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys!

It's the radiator thingie, yes.

Also, I've looked at the link Ryan provided, but I couldn't really find any articles on how to change the heater core. I found one discussing how the system works, but nothing else...

grr
09-26-2004, 06:04 PM
If you're dong the heater core, (looks like a small radiator), you don't need to disconnect the hoses at the firewall. Just drain the system, block included. That'll get 99% of it. Have a small cup to catch what's left when you disconnect the tubes from the heater core.
The hoses have already been disconnected. The previous owner did that to be able to use the car, just with no heat. The heater core have been removed from the circle of cooling fluid, and we'll need to figure out how to reconnect all the stuff when we get the new heater core tomorrow...

Mr. BILL
09-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Try ryan's link again. I just did and it worked for me. The guy who wrote it mentions he had to do it twice! The second time, he didn't remove the dash and all the stuff under the steering wheel. He's right.

I strongly recommend you get a Bentley's manual if you are going to try this yourself. If you are handy with tools at all, are patient and can follow written directions, you CAN do it.

grr
09-27-2004, 03:58 AM
Try ryan's link again. I just did and it worked for me. The guy who wrote it mentions he had to do it twice! The second time, he didn't remove the dash and all the stuff under the steering wheel. He's right.
Arh, sorry, I thought you were talking about Paul's link. I've checked Ryan's link, and it looks good. However that's a E32. Are there any differences?

I strongly recommend you get a Bentley's manual if you are going to try this yourself. If you are handy with tools at all, are patient and can follow written directions, you CAN do it.
I've got the Haynes manual, but unfortunately it doesn't describe the procedure very well.

Either way I believe we'll manage to replace the heater core. My worries are only to find out were everything's supposed to sit when we reassemble everything, cause the previous owner removed a lot of covers and rerouted the hoses under the bonnet.

Mr. BILL
09-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Once again, you need a Bentley. It is far superior to the Haynes, especially on jobs like the heater core. What's another $40?

grr
09-30-2004, 05:14 AM
Aaah. The heater finally works again. :)

Figured out almost everything. One hose and one plastic thingie besides the heater radiator missing. :(

Mr. BILL
09-30-2004, 07:33 AM
Way to go! Did you have to remove one of the "stepper" motors? If so, how did you get them back in place? I'm having a problem re-installing mine.

Bill

grr
09-30-2004, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure I know what a "stepper" motor is?

Basically we had to remove a lot of interior pieces and cut out some of the original plastic box for the heater radiator (vaguely described in the sheet of paper following the new heater radiator - production of the original one ended like 10 years ago), other than that there wasn't really anything special. But there's a lot of stuff you have to remove/loosen up to get access to the heater radiator box.

Mind you that I have the Siemens one, I think that's the easiest accessible one. If you have one of the bigger one there's probably more work to be done.