PDA

View Full Version : de Lorean or Back to the Future - OT

simon-york
09-24-2004, 06:50 AM
Dear All

I have just been out to grab a sandwich here in York, England and been passed by one of, I suspect, the rarest cars in this country - a de Lorean. For those of you who were not around when they were being built in Northern Ireland, the gull winged, stainless steel car featured in 'Back to the Future'.

I do not know how many were produced, but if you consider I have probably seen half a dozen pre-war 6 litre Bentleys on the UK roads and even a steam car, this is the first de Lorean - and I expect the last. Just think - no rust, ever!

Anyone else seen one in the States maybe? :)

winfred
09-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Dear All

I have just been out to grab a sandwich here in York, England and been passed by one of, I suspect, the rarest cars in this country - a de Lorean. For those of you who were not around when they were being built in Northern Ireland, the gull winged, stainless steel car featured in 'Back to the Future'.

I do not know how many were produced, but if you consider I have probably seen half a dozen pre-war 6 litre Bentleys on the UK roads and even a steam car, this is the first de Lorean - and I expect the last. Just think - no rust, ever!

Anyone else seen one in the States maybe? :)

winfred
09-24-2004, 08:51 AM
http://www.delorean.com/

Derek A.
09-24-2004, 09:29 AM
One of my favorite posters was a delorean stuck in a snow back with the doors flung open, on the ass end of the car was a bumper sticker that read - "Things go better with Coke"

Tiger
09-24-2004, 10:11 AM
How about washing the car with Brillo?

632 Regal
09-24-2004, 10:20 AM
I have an ancient Delorian tee shirt that I have been saving for a million years, maybe Ebay time for it?

Scott H
09-24-2004, 10:25 AM
was more or less a total piece of ****

bimmerd00d
09-24-2004, 11:00 AM
i have seen one of these with a newer Cadillac Northstar 4.6L 300hp V8 in it. Damn thing was FAST!

Tiger
09-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Wow... that's so cool... because like Winfred said... the engine was a POS... alot of things keep breaking. A friend owned one. Cost dearly to fix too.

callen
09-24-2004, 11:12 AM
yea me too....friends dad owned a used car dealer.....this was back in mid 80's...was as gas station getting some fuel...they were trashed and couldn't find the gas door....seen several...in Texas.

Callen

Jeff N.
09-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Isn't that motor the same V6 that Volvo used in the 80s in their 264? Peugot technology if I recall?

Worked for a Volvo dealership at that time and remember those 264s having horrific camshaft problems. Something about them losing the lobes at very low mileage. Can't recall the details but I know that we really dinged the 264 on trade-in because of that. 244s of course were indestructable.

Anways, I seem to vaguely recall this as there was some talk when the deLorean came out about owners going to Volvo dealership in an engine emergency as they likely had parts. Don't think I personally ever saw this happen...

Know if there is truth to this...?

Jeff

winfred
09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
pvr= peugot volvo renault, sob ate cams like corn flakes and generally wasn't much faster then the b21 4 cylinder, i remember hearing about 240s with holes cut in the firewalls to allow faster removal of the cams, around 86 they fixed the oil starvation problems and got rid of k-jetronic and the motor was still a turd, it just lasted longer

Isn't that motor the same V6 that Volvo used in the 80s in their 264? Peugot technology if I recall?

Worked for a Volvo dealership at that time and remember those 264s having horrific camshaft problems. Something about them losing the lobes at very low mileage. Can't recall the details but I know that we really dinged the 264 on trade-in because of that. 244s of course were indestructable.

Anways, I seem to vaguely recall this as there was some talk when the deLorean came out about owners going to Volvo dealership in an engine emergency as they likely had parts. Don't think I personally ever saw this happen...

Know if there is truth to this...?

Jeff

winfred
09-24-2004, 12:41 PM
volvo called the early motor the B28 and the later one the B280, one handy thing about the B280 it uses the same distrubutor cap as the common bmw cap, but the firing order is labeled differently