PDA

View Full Version : lost of electrical help for newbie, wont crank

bigblue
09-22-2004, 04:15 PM
I just bought a 1990 525i 5spd for next to nothing. Doesn't crank. The interior wiring is a mess. P.O. had installed/removed aftermarket stereo and it seems to have an aftermarket alarm installed. Only recently (since I first looked at it) the cluster display center stop showing anything, the headlights stopped coming on (parking lights still ok) and the power windows stopped working

I think the cranking issue is just a bad starter solenoid but I would like to solve the newer electrical gremlins mentioned before I get into that because I dont know if the ECU is getting powered with the cluster display center not working.

If i cant get it right it's getting parted out.
Thanks
Henry Helfman

Tiger
09-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Check main fuse by battery... or fusible link.

632 Regal
09-22-2004, 04:37 PM
make sure the battery is fully charged, next to nothing will work on these cars with even 11.5 volts. Battery might be toast and you might need a new battery. start at the basics and go from there

bigblue
09-22-2004, 09:37 PM
make sure the battery is fully charged, next to nothing will work on these cars with even 11.5 volts. Battery might be toast and you might need a new battery. start at the basics and go from there

fully charged new battery. The fusible link by the battery looks like a 10 gauge wire. Could very likely be just a wire in place, considering the workmanship of the P.O.

So here's what doesn't work
Starter (confirmed bad starter)
headlights
power windows/sunroof/mirrors
cluster display lights up but no message can be read

I tried jumping that fusible link with no improvement. Is there another fusible link somewhere in this car that could have fried? Does anybody have a interior wiring diagram for an e34? If I know the power window circuit, I could trace it because the fuse is showing power.
Thanks

632 Regal
09-22-2004, 09:47 PM
somethings blown, no reason for the headlights not to work cause the starters bad...I still say its something stupid

bigblue
09-22-2004, 11:20 PM
I got the headlights to kick on by smacking the fusebox. took off the cover and specifically it's that long black relay. if i tap that the headlights come on.

You're probabaly right. judging by what people say it would seem like a fusible link, although my power seats work fine. The car didn't come with a radio so I cant tell about that but this is what bothers me. I bypassed the fusible link by running straight to the battery and the power windows/sunroof/mirror/cluster information computer still dont work. I'll still put in a new fusible link but I cant see that solving this problem.

Does my car (battery under hood) also have a fusible link behind the back seat or anywhere else?

I noticed that they replaced the battery ground wire was recently replaced with an aftermarket one and it only goes to the ground post under it (RH frame) should another part of the chassis be grounded?

<I think the starter being bad is just a complete coincidence. I'll get a reman tomorrow and hopefully see this thing run for the first time>

Tiger
09-23-2004, 08:45 AM
You can manually check the starter... First check the electric... see if you are getting 12 V at the starter... big cable... and use ground as negative... if 12v, then you are good.

Then on the selenoid... one side is positive... jump the positive from big starter cable to that positive on selenoid... it will spark... or use remote starter... if starter cranks, then starter is good... if nothing but a clunk, then selenoid is good but starter is bad... If just whirring, selenoid is bad. If nothing happens, then use a hammer and whack the starter... try again.

Check that ground cable... make sure it is in contact with clean bare metal... anything short of that is trouble. Check for main fuse under the rear seat... that is where all the fuses are.

bigblue
09-24-2004, 12:52 AM
I did that before I bought the car, which is why I was confident the starter was bad. (and also why I bought it) Replaced it today, heard it crank for the first time but not fire. Sounds like a broken timing belt. If I'm not mistaken this 1990 2.5 is an M20 and interference? I got bigger problems...

Interior electrical problems aside for now. Does this engine definately have bent valves or have people just replaced broken timing belts and been okay? If it's bad, it's getting parted/junked immediately!

Thanks BMW guys

carolina525
10-30-2004, 08:22 AM
I picked up a reconditioned head complete with brand new valves, 3 angle valve job and new cam for $700.00 from www.headsonly.com. hope this helps

I did that before I bought the car, which is why I was confident the starter was bad. (and also why I bought it) Replaced it today, heard it crank for the first time but not fire. Sounds like a broken timing belt. If I'm not mistaken this 1990 2.5 is an M20 and interference? I got bigger problems...

Interior electrical problems aside for now. Does this engine definately have bent valves or have people just replaced broken timing belts and been okay? If it's bad, it's getting parted/junked immediately!

Thanks BMW guys