PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Shifting when tranny is cold - 540i 6-speed

BrianH
09-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Hi,
I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and now I have finally decided to post something!

I have noticed that as the mornings get colder, I am having more problems shifting my car when the tranny is cold. I am running new Redline D4 ATF, which is supposed to be some of the best fluid for cold weather operation. Still, the car is hard to get into the gears, particularily 3rd and 5th. The tranny doesn't grind or anything, it just REALLY resists going into those gears. I replaced a broken gear knob on this car when I got it, and I now know why the knob was broken - from pushing too hard to get the car in gear! Is anyone else having this problem? I'm thinking it's linkage-related because A)It isn't grinding, and shifts fine when warm and B) The two gears I'm having trouble with are in the same "area" of the shift pattern.

Perhaps the slop in the linkage (don't we all have that) is excessive enough to cause trouble when cold, but then "tightens up" a little due to expansion from the heat in the engine and tranny when the car warms up? I dunno. If I thought one of those trick UUC Autowerks shift kits would fix it I'd buy one in a heartbeat! They look to be very well made. Heck, I might get one anyway!

Anyone have similar experience with your tranny? Any fixes out there? BTW, this is a great forum. Lots of good info here.

632 Regal
09-22-2004, 12:56 PM
a hard time shifting I would like to mention that the syncronizers could be worn and be in need of replacement.

Robin-535im
09-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Of course, for my car it was 2nd and 4th that wouldn't engage, but your geometry may be different. New tranny mounts made it better. It could be a combination of cold fluid and something else (linkage, mounts) that cause it, hence why it goes away when warm. I too have notchy shifting in the cold, and I've got Redline MTF.

HTH