PDA

View Full Version : Old Faithful-Coolant version

Luftpost
09-21-2004, 08:54 PM
The other day I noticed coolant dripping very slowly from my car. Upon removing some items to further expose the troubled area, I discovered that the leak was actually from the plastic bleed screw located on top of the radiator. The threads were in place, however the head of the screw was separated from the threads. The threads of the screw have a slot molded into them to allow for bleeding. I can remove these threads with an “Easy Out”. No big deal.

I have since driven it short distances to further troubleshoot. The temp gauge on the dash will rise to middle or perhaps ˝ needle width more than middle of the gauge indicating normal operating temps.

HOWEVER, why then is green steam SHOOTING out of the bleed screw when temp indications are normal?? Additionally, it seems that I can hear a boiling sound somewhere within the engine. I do believe the temp gauge is reading properly.

I understand the issue with the plastic impeller on the old water pumps. I do not yet know if mine has been replaced. If it were the pump though, the temp gauge would go up beyond normal operating peramiters. Same with the thermostat.

The expansion tank will drain itself after about 3 cumulative driving hours. I have been running around with a gallon of distilled water in my trunk to fill as neccessary. Fortunately, my commutes are all short. If it were not for the normal temp indications, the car would stay in the garage.

Engine oil shows no milky residue.

What gives?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Luftpost
09-21-2004, 09:05 PM
While taking a shower it dawned on me. With the head of the bleed screw missing, the coolant is forced through the slot due to the cooling system being under pressure. It is the head of the screw that seals the system. Without that head, the coolant escapes under pressure.

Hopefully I can get this bleed screw from the stealer. :p