PDA

View Full Version : Who's a suspension guru?

Cab325i/540i
09-21-2004, 12:49 PM
I have known that my wife's 540i was going to need some suspension stuff, as the LF has been making rattling noises over rough pavement. The suspension is original (110k miles), so I figure the shocks are probably pretty tired.

I went to get the car inspected today, and the LF is leaking, so they can't pass it. So now I know I have to replace the suspension, like, today! Turner has Bilstein/H&R packages, which is what I have on my E30. I love it, and I also have urethane bushings on my car. My wife is not thrilled with the ride in my car, but that's really mostly due to the bushings.

I have a couple of questions.

1) Bilstein HD shocks are the same stiffness as sport, just made for stock springs/ride height, right? I'd like to lower the car, but I'm not sure she'll want to.

2) The car has K-mac C/C plates. What do those consist of? Is there a stock bearing underneath, or do they include the shock mount bearing? If I am to replace the shocks and/or springs, is there anything in the front that I will need other than the strut inserts, since the K-macs are there?

Thanks.

632 Regal
09-21-2004, 01:26 PM
1) Bilstein HD shocks are the same stiffness as sport, just made for stock springs/ride height, right? I'd like to lower the car, but I'm not sure she'll want to.
(the sports claim to be the same except for height, they also have internal bump stops in front so you should remove your exterior stops when using them.)

2) The car has K-mac C/C plates. What do those consist of? Is there a stock bearing underneath, or do they include the shock mount bearing? If I am to replace the shocks and/or springs, is there anything in the front that I will need other than the strut inserts, since the K-macs are there?
( Replacing springs shocks need nothing else except what you feel needs replacing such as thrust arms/??)

Cab325i/540i
09-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks. It's been recommended to me to not lower this car with H&R/Bilstein Sport, as they don't have enough travel to accomodate the weight of the 540i in front. I think I'm going to replace the shocks with Bilstein HDs, which as you said are supposed to have the same stiffness as Sport, but made for stock ride height/springs. Since Turner and HMS both do not have the springs in stock right now anyway, I'll just replace the shocks with HDs, and it should be good. I'll be heading up to Turner in an hour or so to pick them up. I won't be doing anything else right now, I really have to get this done before Friday or I'm in some kind of trouble with the state inspection deal. I don't know if I have to pay a fine or what, but I'm supposed to get the inspection done before 7 days have passed since registering the car.

I guess someday in the future the car may or may not be lowered, but my wife will have to live with it as is.

mholbrook
09-21-2004, 03:21 PM
You should also replace your front sway bar end links while you are at it. Bilstein HD or my favorite, Koni adjustable will firm you up nice. You have K-Macs on stock suspension? Why?

632 Regal
09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=Cab325i/540i]It's been recommended to me to not lower this car with H&R/Bilstein Sport, as they don't have enough travel to accomodate the weight of the 540i in frontQUOTE]

I disagree, I have the 530 which is a V8. The Bav auto springs are a little weak for the V8s but fine with the 6s, the Eibach springs work perfectly which I just replaced the Bavautos with 2 weeks ago.

The H&R springs claim the sit 1/10th lower than the Eibachs which is minimal. If you really want to lower it but are concerned you could go the Eibach's with the thicker spring cushion on the strut. Your car will look mighty nice lowered compared to stock!! Put a smile on your face.

The Bavautos were a little weak for me because I live off paved roads so I have to travel dirt which is less than perfect most days, but the Eibachs have treated me perfectly so far.

Cab325i/540i
09-21-2004, 05:29 PM
You should also replace your front sway bar end links while you are at it. Bilstein HD or my favorite, Koni adjustable will firm you up nice. You have K-Macs on stock suspension? Why?

That's a good question. I don't know why. The P.O. put them on because the alignment wasn't right. It worries me that they had to put K-Macs on just to meet the stock alignment. I haven't had the car long enough to really get to know it intimately, and it's my wife's car, so I don't drive it all the time. I bought it from some people I know and trust, but I'm wondering a little bit now about some of these things. I was told it was never wrecked, and certainly nothing is obviously bent or repaired, in fact everything in the engine bay looks like I would think it should for a car that's never seen the winter. Anyway, I just picked up the HD shocks, and I will put in the fronts ASAP. My wife and I just bought a house, so this is not a great time to do car projects, so until we move in to the new place in the end of October, this is going to have to do. I just need to put in the new headlight that is cracked and replace the LF strut insert (I'll do both front, but the left is the one that is leaking). Without doing that work, I can't pass the state safety inspection, and I don't want to find out how much I have to pay if I don't get it inspected within the specified time. I'd rather just fix it and go from there.

Cab325i/540i
09-21-2004, 05:35 PM
I've never heard good things about the BavAuto springs. I'm sure some folk have had good experiences with them, but I like my H&R Sports on the E30. The more I drive the E34, the more I'm convinced that at least the front shocks are shot. It really takes way too long to dampen the movement of the car, and I hear a noise over bumps/rough roads from the LF that sounds like something rattling. I can't find anything loose, and I'm thinking that the shock just isn't holding everything together well enough. Anyway, the stiffer HD shocks should improve the ride greatly, even if this doesn't fix that noise.

Right now I just want to get this fixed so I can get the car to pass inspection and then not worry about cars for a few weeks. I have enough to do keeping the E30 in autoX/track condition!

Cab325i/540i
09-23-2004, 01:41 PM
...suspension that doesn't!

I got the Bilstein HD struts in up front last night. The left one was completely gone. Absolutely no resistance on the old one. We just bought a house, so I will wait until we move to do the rear shocks, the next few weeks are pretty busy. Anyway, what a difference the front shocks made. Still feels a little heavier than my E30, but much better!

I found a few other things that will need attention, but they can all wait a little bit.

Thanks for all your inputs! I can't wait until I have the new garage to do this work in.