PDA

View Full Version : New Tires - New noises

Drooby
09-21-2004, 08:49 AM
I recently installed a set of 4 Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires.

As my old Yokohammas served me well for 65K - I noticed a difference in the car's "steering Weight" instantly , it was much lighter now.
When that effect wore off in a couple of days (when I got used to it) - i started noticing other things :

I can now hear feel & feel every bump on the road - I checked the tire pressure and found that all four tires were set @30 ( so i changed it to 33 in the front and 37 in the back) i felt that it handled a bit better but the bumping sounds now increased .

I thought maybe tha my susspension could be starting to give me signs (my 525 has 115K mi. on it now) but can it be that much of a coincidence - both front and rear at the same time right after i get new tires .

Can anyone troubleshoot this or tell me if I should go back to Firestone ?

(PS - I know the car needs front brakes and rotors and i ordered them - i also noticed that after the new tires were put on , there was an unussual extreme amount of brake dust on the rims - i guess from the tire place , can this be related ?)

Drooby
09-21-2004, 01:19 PM
bump

632 Regal
09-21-2004, 04:53 PM
those tires rate high in roadnoise, check em out at tire rack. If you find another tire that will suit you I think you have some time that you can replace them.

Robert K
09-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I don't know if your tire dealer said anything about it, but I'm pretty sure that Bridgestone has a 30 day "love-it-or-leave-it" policy with at least some of their tires. I checked Tirerack.com, and this tire has that warranty. So, if you don't like them, you could check back with the dealer who sold them to you about getting something else. For more info, check out Tirerack.com or go to the Bridgestone site. By the way, what size wheels do you have and what size tires did you get. I've thought about the G009's in 235/45-17, but noticed at a dealer that the sidewalls seemed pretty soft. Just wondered what size you had and how your steering response is.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Drooby
09-22-2004, 01:04 AM
i have the original stock wheels , 205/65/15s
i was thinking of going with 225/60/15s but the dealer didnt have them in stock so i didnt bother.

handling with these tires was pretty good -better than with the yokohamas but i had the yokohamas for 65000 miles !! (as they were warrantied) with no problems at all.So by the time ai changed them , their handling was probably a it off .

What i didnt like about these was the awefull ride comfort - its like i was riding a skateboard not a bimmer.
I think i'll go back to the dealer and try to get some potenza RE950 - their ratings were a lot better on tire rack i just hope the firestone will honor this warranty.

thanks for the info !!

PatrickPGH
09-22-2004, 04:03 PM
i have the original stock wheels , 205/65/15s
i was thinking of going with 225/60/15s but the dealer didnt have them in stock so i didnt bother.

handling with these tires was pretty good -better than with the yokohamas but i had the yokohamas for 65000 miles !! (as they were warrantied) with no problems at all.So by the time ai changed them , their handling was probably a it off .

What i didnt like about these was the awefull ride comfort - its like i was riding a skateboard not a bimmer.
I think i'll go back to the dealer and try to get some potenza RE950 - their ratings were a lot better on tire rack i just hope the firestone will honor this warranty.

thanks for the info !!

I tried to get the RE950s for my 530i but Bridgestone didn't make the 225/60/15. They do make a 225/60/16 so be careful when you order them. I ultimately went with the BF Goodrich Traction T/A V.

Patrick