PDA

View Full Version : Water pump or fan clutch?

hlenoble
09-20-2004, 10:51 PM
As I was picking my son up from work today, my '90 535i started making some funny noises. I opened the hood, and clearly saw that the fan belt was wobbling, and something - the water pump or fan clutch - would seize up every now and then. Of course that made a terrrible racket and the belt started to smoke. The seizing was infrequent and then it stopped, so I decided to drive the car 5 miles home. I got home without further seizing and with the belt intact.

Tomorrow I need to fix the car or have it fixed. What should I look at to determine if the problem is the water pump or the fan clutch? Also, are these relatively easy DIY repairs or should I save myself the frustration and bring it to my mechanic?

Thanks,
- Hal

winfred
09-20-2004, 11:21 PM
grab the fan blade and pull and push hard to see what moves, the fan clutch unscrews from the pump and it's reverse thread (wrench from top move to the left side of the car) the water pump is not a bad job on a m30

bjl4776
09-21-2004, 05:28 PM
sometimes people get really frustrated trying to unscrew the fanclutch from the water pump cause they both spin. Like winfred said the fan clutch is reverse thread and needs a slim 32mm wrench i think. As far as holding the waterpump in place, there is a tool for it, looks like a 3 sides box and a hole for a breaker bar. Im sure there are ways to do it w/o the tool but i had the luxury of having one, im sure you can rent one from your local auto parts store.

632 Regal
09-21-2004, 09:36 PM
time for a waterpump! while your in there replace the thermoatat and belts and feel free for at least another 60k!

hlenoble
09-21-2004, 10:20 PM
time for a waterpump! while your in there replace the thermoatat and belts and feel free for at least another 60k!

I dropped the car at my mechanic today, and sure enough the water pump is shot. I am having the pump, thermostat, and all belts replaced as suggested. Thanks for your help.
- Hal