PDA

View Full Version : Trans Prog error displayed

wasapppp
09-19-2004, 09:09 PM
On occasion this errpr will light up on the dash board. Usually turining the car off and then waiting about 2-3 minutes resolves it till the next time. I have noticed that it usually occurs during city driving on hot days otherwise its ok. The car is a 1992 BMW 525i 130K miles.

I would like to get any feedback on how to resolve this without spending large bucks at the service department of the BMW dealership. What items should I check/replace before I take the car in for service as a last resort?

Have already been to the BMW Service an had the trannie services..... still have Trans Prog error.

Noticed that now it hardly takes any time to start .... barely a few miles then ...bing "Trans Prog".

I have seen many posts reffering to the following items and even purchased a Bentley Service Manual but they do not even mention the part or location.

a) Transmission Control Unit (mentioned in the manual) where is the location of this part?
b) Transmission speed sensor (not mentioned in the manual) where is the location?
c) Is there a Transmission fuse (can't find any reference to it in the Bentley manual) as this user states (he has a 535ia not 92 525i)?

"Anyway I moved the gear lever through all the positions pausing for a couple of seconds between each notch, turned ignition off removed transmission fuse from fuse box in the engine compartment and waited for 10 mins in the hope that the computer would reset itself. So after replacing the fuse and starting her up it was like it never happened.Went for a test and all was as good as new and that was 8 months ago."

d) Is there a Transmission chip in the DME? Where is it located? part #?

Robert K
09-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Bruno posted my info and some other info on this topic. It can be maddening. Once on his site, go to "Troubleshooting." The popout menu will show "Trans Program Message" near the bottom. That should give you some things to check.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

wasapppp
09-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Thanks Robert. I will check it after work tomorrow.

Scott C
09-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks Robert. I will check it after work tomorrow.
Did your transmission go into limp mode? If it is a "true" trans prog failure then the tranny will be limited to 3rd forward gear (reverse works).

Mine had this problem but it was NOT a tranny problem...

Scott

wasapppp
09-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Yes, mine does go into limp mode. It started happening about 5 months ago but only occasionally. i had the dealer check and they said OK. Now its happenibg everytime I drive.
In your case what was it if it was not the tranny?

Scott C
09-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Yes, mine does go into limp mode. It started happening about 5 months ago but only occasionally. i had the dealer check and they said OK. Now its happenibg everytime I drive.
In your case what was it if it was not the tranny?

If only I knew.... I had to mask it...

After having it at the dealer for 5 months or so, they gave up. I finally got the tech manuals and disconnected the wire that goes from the tranny ECU to the Check control module (grounded the input to the CCM). The problem does not get reported now.... I have yet to find the time to figure out where the wire is shorting (although I think I have an intermittant power problem at the instrument cluster). It works 99.99% of the time so I leave it alone

Scott

wasapppp
09-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Bruno posted my info and some other info on this topic. It can be maddening. Once on his site, go to "Troubleshooting." The popout menu will show "Trans Program Message" near the bottom. That should give you some things to check.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i
Well I did read the article posted at Buro's site (very informative) and decided to start by having the Transmission serviced at the BMW dealer and specifically asked for BMW parts and for my parts back. Upon looking at the parts they were BMW original parts so it wasn't a aftermarket filter that was the cause (one down) however the problem still persists. The good news was that the dealership and mechanic that did the service say the transmission is in good shape and they wanted to troubleshoot the electrical for $90.00 an hour and they estimated it would be at least 4 hours. Already spent $230 on the transmission service so I said no. I guess there is no silver bullet so it will be a process of elimination.

wasapppp
09-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Did your transmission go into limp mode? If it is a "true" trans prog failure then the tranny will be limited to 3rd forward gear (reverse works).

Mine had this problem but it was NOT a tranny problem...

Scott
Yes it did go into limp mode. Even after the transmission service the "Trans Proggram" error is still on. I wish it was a more informative message so you know which part to replace!!!!!!

wasapppp
09-26-2004, 08:42 PM
If only I knew.... I had to mask it...

After having it at the dealer for 5 months or so, they gave up. I finally got the tech manuals and disconnected the wire that goes from the tranny ECU to the Check control module (grounded the input to the CCM). The problem does not get reported now.... I have yet to find the time to figure out where the wire is shorting (although I think I have an intermittant power problem at the instrument cluster). It works 99.99% of the time so I leave it alone

Scott
I have a 1992 525i and just got my Bentley BMW service manual this past Friday. I will look it up and see if the 1992 525i has the tranny ECU and CCM as yours.

632 Regal
09-26-2004, 08:47 PM
came back immediatley saying that the message was on...I know cheating but hey, maybe a cheaper diagnosis.

wasapppp
09-26-2004, 10:43 PM
came back immediatley saying that the message was on...I know cheating but hey, maybe a cheaper diagnosis.
Actually would have done that but they already noticed the fault when it was tripped on the test drive after the service.
Also, it was on when I brought it in for service. :p

wasapppp
10-21-2004, 01:49 PM

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Any other suggestions. Am checking the alternator tomorrow and disconnecting the battery. :(

ryan roopnarine
10-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Any other suggestions. Am checking the alternator tomorrow and disconnecting the battery. :(

um, visit the place you took the car and ask them which transmission codes it was throwing. if that is unsuccessful/they didn't do it, call around and find a shop that is willing to scan your transmission computer and tell you which codes are causing it to display the "trans prog". come back here and tell us what it is saying. it is up to you whether or not you want to spend xx per hour getting the aforementioned done, but it might indicate which part is broken and is causing your problem.

RobPatt
10-21-2004, 02:31 PM
i didn't notice if it's a 525 w/the GM tranny, but the error code is, to me, barring crazy $$, the most reasonable place to start after a general service. For me, the code was a faulty fluid pressure regulator, replaced this $90 part, reset error, and all's good. hope the same luck for you.....cheers. Rob.

um, visit the place you took the car and ask them which transmission codes it was throwing. if that is unsuccessful/they didn't do it, call around and find a shop that is willing to scan your transmission computer and tell you which codes are causing it to display the "trans prog". come back here and tell us what it is saying. it is up to you whether or not you want to spend xx per hour getting the aforementioned done, but it might indicate which part is broken and is causing your problem.

liquidtiger720
10-21-2004, 08:49 PM
i got code 100 for mine. *speed not correct for gear selected*. when i dropped the pan, there were BIG chuncks of metal shavings, so i had to get a rebuild. It is now driving perfect.

wasapppp
10-24-2004, 12:38 AM

Here is the exact wording from the BMW dealer " kick-down switch working properly. fault 45 - band solenoid fault stored in EGS. Best solution is new transmission." :( :( :( :(

wasapppp
10-24-2004, 12:56 AM
i didn't notice if it's a 525 w/the GM tranny, but the error code is, to me, barring crazy $$, the most reasonable place to start after a general service. For me, the code was a faulty fluid pressure regulator, replaced this $90 part, reset error, and all's good. hope the same luck for you.....cheers. Rob.

I believe it is the GM "lifetime" tranny . according to my dealerships information it has a delivery date of 19 December 1991 and a production date of 01 September 1991. It is a 1992 Model BMW 525iA (A for Automatic I presume) and the Bentley manual says the tranny is a A4S 310R without the dipstick.
The dealership said the Trans Prog fault code is "45 - Band solenoid fault stored in EGS" and the solution is a new tranny. :(

wasapppp
10-24-2004, 01:03 AM
How do I tell if I have the GM transmission? Is the A4S 310R transmission the GM version?

Dick Schneiders
10-24-2004, 08:34 AM
If you look under the car and you have two separate fluid pans under the tranny, one smaller than the other, then you have the GM tranny.

How do I tell if I have the GM transmission? Is the A4S 310R transmission the GM version?

632 Regal
10-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Here is the exact wording from the BMW dealer " kick-down switch working properly. fault 45 - band solenoid fault stored in EGS. Best solution is new transmission." :( :( :( :(

wasapppp
10-24-2004, 06:38 PM
Is there any where I can check the actual fault code that the dealer has reported to see if if a Trans Prog fault code 45 is a Band solenoid fault stored in EGS.

Bill R.
10-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Break in wiring.
Short in wiring.
Defective valve winding.
You'l have to pull the oil pan off the bottom to see. Its fairly easy to get to the band solenoid to change it after you remove the pan and screen.
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/thrm1brakebandsolenoid.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/thrm1brakeband2.jpg

Is there any where I can check the actual fault code that the dealer has reported to see if if a Trans Prog fault code 45 is a Band solenoid fault stored in EGS.

joebigfun
10-24-2004, 08:09 PM
I am having similar problems but haven't seen these 2 questions answered;

1)where is the transm. ecu ('91 525i GM transm)?

2)can the transm. codes be read without going to the dealer?

winfred
10-24-2004, 08:11 PM
i've jumpered power to the solonoids and found bad non functioning units, they also besides dieing they suck in their protective screens that are on the end of the solonoid and clog/lock up

winfred
10-24-2004, 08:16 PM
a snapon mt 2500 aka red brick with a bmw cartridge can read trans data and codes, used $750-1500 for the set up and north of 3k new
tranny brain lives above the right speaker beside the glove box on usa cars, can't speak for euros

I am having similar problems but haven't seen these 2 questions answered;

1)where is the transm. ecu ('91 525i GM transm)?

2)can the transm. codes be read without going to the dealer?

all2kool
10-24-2004, 09:26 PM
On occasion this errpr will light up on the dash board. Usually turining the car off and then waiting about 2-3 minutes resolves it till the next time. I have noticed that it usually occurs during city driving on hot days otherwise its ok. The car is a 1992 BMW 525i 130K miles.

I would like to get any feedback on how to resolve this without spending large bucks at the service department of the BMW dealership. What items should I check/replace before I take the car in for service as a last resort?

Have already been to the BMW Service an had the trannie services..... still have Trans Prog error.

Noticed that now it hardly takes any time to start .... barely a few miles then ...bing "Trans Prog".

I have seen many posts reffering to the following items and even purchased a Bentley Service Manual but they do not even mention the part or location.

a) Transmission Control Unit (mentioned in the manual) where is the location of this part?
b) Transmission speed sensor (not mentioned in the manual) where is the location?
c) Is there a Transmission fuse (can't find any reference to it in the Bentley manual) as this user states (he has a 535ia not 92 525i)?

"Anyway I moved the gear lever through all the positions pausing for a couple of seconds between each notch, turned ignition off removed transmission fuse from fuse box in the engine compartment and waited for 10 mins in the hope that the computer would reset itself. So after replacing the fuse and starting her up it was like it never happened.Went for a test and all was as good as new and that was 8 months ago."

d) Is there a Transmission chip in the DME? Where is it located? part #?

I believe the TRANS PROGRAM issue arises form insufficient electrical current to the Computer. I was having this issue rather reguarly until I started reseating fuses, electrical connections and components in the fusebox. Since doing that, it has only happened once. One at a time, remove, clean with contact cleaner, every item in the fuse box. The do the same to the components in the computer area. Rule of thumb: If you can unplug and clean it, do.

1992 525i w/198k

Am Piobaire
10-24-2004, 09:36 PM
[

I was experiencing the TRANS Prog message on a almost daily basis. After experiencing problems with the charging system and getting my alternator rebuilt plus a new battery, the Trans Prog message went away and everything was fine. I would check the electrics first - these cars run on electronics and it's usually the first thing to check. My car is an 88 model and years of heat and vibration takes it toll on the electical circuitry. Which is why you should never buy one of those programmable electronic washing machines - the heat, water and vibration virtually ensure that they will stuff up within a couple of years.

Andrew
Alpineweiss 1988 525i
Alpineweiss 1991 K100lt

wasapppp
10-24-2004, 09:51 PM
should I replace them all since I have the pan off? How much do they cost?

wasapppp
10-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Based on what you have said would it make sense to replace them all (get my used parts back and clean them up if it happens again). Any iead of the cost if it was done at a dealer or if it was DYI? Any special tools needed?

winfred
10-24-2004, 11:37 PM
usually held in with a roll pin that you can pull out with a pair of vice grips and a long screwdriver for levrage

Based on what you have said would it make sense to replace them all (get my used parts back and clean them up if it happens again). Any iead of the cost if it was done at a dealer or if it was DYI? Any special tools needed?

632 Regal
10-25-2004, 12:10 PM
usually held in with a roll pin that you can pull out with a pair of vice grips and a long screwdriver for levrage

wasapppp
10-25-2004, 10:10 PM
A little confused now .... was going to buy all 4 sloenoid's and pressure valve and have it installed and then spoke to the mechanic at the dealership who said in his experience its very seldom the solenoid that fails??? If this is correct ... then whats with the "fault code 45". Does this mean that the solenoid is not bad and changing it will not fix the problem. Could the "fault code 45" acutally mean something else other than a solenoid that has failed .................. very confused now.

tim
10-25-2004, 10:41 PM
It's always best to try tranny first with a known good control unit. Although my experience is primarily with the ZF's, I've seen good trannies throw codes over and over. Often the root cause is with a capacitor or a varnished solder joint on the board. Unfortunately this is typically discovered after all other avenues have been exhausted, as well as you wallet.

Second, heat can cause a marginal solenoid which tests ok on the bench to throw a code under operating conditions.

Wiring harness failure often accompanies heat problems. 'Specially if the temp sensor has failed.

Heat problems often come as a result of clogged filters, or blocked passages in the valve body.

Did you mention the condition of your fluid? Was it coffee brown and chunky? Smell burnt? If so you probably need a rebuild.

I hope that the solenoid replacement route works, but the problem with taking the symptomatic approach, is that if doesn't work, you're going to have to drop the pan again, undo all those torx bolts and try again. Now you need new bolts as well as gasket etc.

That's why the dealers always say "replace unit" - they don't want you coming back. They know it's practically witchcraft diagnosing these things.

Sometimes a rebuild ends up being cheaper and less aggravating in the long run.

Since you already have the pan off, try the solenoid by all means. Disconnect controller unit and DME to dump the codes.

all IMHO, YMMV, etc

Bill R.
10-25-2004, 11:12 PM
It states Code 45 solenoid band fault.
Possible causes are
Break in wiring
Short in wiring
Defective valve winding..
2 out of the 3 likely possible causes aren't the valve but the wiring going to the valve. Inspect them and check for continuity from end to end.

A little confused now .... was going to buy all 4 sloenoid's and pressure valve and have it installed and then spoke to the mechanic at the dealership who said in his experience its very seldom the solenoid that fails??? If this is correct ... then whats with the "fault code 45". Does this mean that the solenoid is not bad and changing it will not fix the problem. Could the "fault code 45" acutally mean something else other than a solenoid that has failed .................. very confused now.

wasapppp
10-25-2004, 11:55 PM
It states Code 45 solenoid band fault.
Possible causes are
Break in wiring
Short in wiring
Defective valve winding..
2 out of the 3 likely possible causes aren't the valve but the wiring going to the valve. Inspect them and check for continuity from end to end.
Thanks Bill i will start with your suggestion for "Break in wiring and Short in wiring that is something I can do myself. Opening the trannie is beyond me and my limited tools.

wasapppp
10-26-2004, 12:00 AM
It's always best to try tranny first with a known good control unit. Although my experience is primarily with the ZF's, I've seen good trannies throw codes over and over. Often the root cause is with a capacitor or a varnished solder joint on the board. Unfortunately this is typically discovered after all other avenues have been exhausted, as well as you wallet.

Second, heat can cause a marginal solenoid which tests ok on the bench to throw a code under operating conditions.

Wiring harness failure often accompanies heat problems. 'Specially if the temp sensor has failed.

Heat problems often come as a result of clogged filters, or blocked passages in the valve body.

Did you mention the condition of your fluid? Was it coffee brown and chunky? Smell burnt? If so you probably need a rebuild.

I hope that the solenoid replacement route works, but the problem with taking the symptomatic approach, is that if doesn't work, you're going to have to drop the pan again, undo all those torx bolts and try again. Now you need new bolts as well as gasket etc.

That's why the dealers always say "replace unit" - they don't want you coming back. They know it's practically witchcraft diagnosing these things.

Sometimes a rebuild ends up being cheaper and less aggravating in the long run.

Since you already have the pan off, try the solenoid by all means. Disconnect controller unit and DME to dump the codes.

all IMHO, YMMV, etc

I have serviced the transmission yearly since I have owned the car 02,03,04 and the dealer said the fluid was OK and no evidence of metal. I will try your suggestion after checking the wiring for damage. Please understand I am not quite as experienced as some that have provided great advice in getting to the cause. The process is long and I only have weekends to work with the car so it is a little fustrating.

Bill R.
10-26-2004, 12:01 AM
wiring thats likely to cause the problem is inside the transmission. You see the cables for it in the illustration going to each solenoid.

Thanks Bill i will start with your suggestion for "Break in wiring and Short in wiring that is something I can do myself. Opening the trannie is beyond me and my limited tools.

wasapppp
11-10-2004, 11:17 PM
wiring thats likely to cause the problem is inside the transmission. You see the cables for it in the illustration going to each solenoid.
Bill you were most correct below is my travel through Trans Prog land.
After getting the message repeatedly I paniced and thought it was a trans fluid issue and I have the tranny without the dipstick. So off to the dealer for tranny oil/filter change and new gasket and locktight nuts .... all told $223.00.
Did not fix the problem but was told the physical condition was in good shape but further diagnostics would be necessary to pinpoint the problem. This service would be for approximately 4 hours at $90.00 per hour. I said not and moved on with my car in limp mode. Went to another dealerand installed a new speed sensor as many had recommended,,, cost $243.00. and they suggested a transmission replacement. At this point they actually told me what the fault code was (45) bad "brake band solenoid". So back I went to the dealer I trusted the most of the two (lesser of two evils) and had him replace the transmission brake solenoid and another valve he suggested ....cost $479.67 but she runs like a charm with the EAT performance chip installed.
OK if I were to do it again this is what I would do.
1) Ask the dealer to give you the code<s> and their meaning first.
2) Open a thread here where experienced people offer good advice.
3) Buy the BMW (yes BMW only) replacement part that is defective and try to install it yourself if you have the skill. if not go to step 4.
4) Have a reputable dealership perform the install, since they will need to drain it , replace your new part (ALWAYS ASK FOR THE PART BACK unless it is returned as a CORE) install a new gasket, filter tighten up the pan with new lock tight bolts and lastly fill it up with new fluid.
I probably only had to expend the $479.76 for the entire repair but I was stupid and did not get the fault code explained first. Any how I can't cry over spilled milk. But I did learn a good lesson. Bottom line, I am up and running again and she's purring again.